Security Installer Community

Alarm Installers Salary. How Much Do We Get??

Hi all,

I have been installing alarms for about 8 years. This includes hundreds of domestic alarms, a heap of small factories and shops(up to about 16 devices) and also about 5 large systems (200+ detectors). I also have experience with CCTV systems having installed around 50 small systems (up to 8 cameras). I know Winpak and Nstar very well (I work for honeywell at the moment) and am about to learn the galaxy panel (still waiting for manuals and panels from the UK). I know how to program numerous panels here (Australia) and learn new ones very quickly.

How much of a salary would i be payed in the UK installing, servicing or programming alarms, access etc????

Do any parts of the industry pay better than others?

Is it hard to get work with experience like mine?

Here is a more detailed description of my experience.

I am able to run cables in most types of buildings while keeping the cabling neat. If i need to use conduit this is always very straight and neat. There are not many jobs that i would not be able to do from a cabling point of view.

The fit off of my panels and accessories is always very neat. I can honestly say that my panels are some of the neatest you would see here in australia. Whenever another technician sees my panels they always comment on how neatly they are fitted off.

Programming of most alarms does not worry me. I can learn how to program a basic domestic or small commercial alarm in about half an hour. For instance i noticed on this forum that you have the ademco 4110 over there. I didn't have to learn this one when we installed them. I just picked up the manual and started programming it the first time i saw it. I always try and get my alarms to do the most they can. I have never been one of those people that just program the zones and walk away (Unless thats all it needed).

I have performed 4 large installations. These were using the Tecom Challenger. All of these were over 200 sensors with one being around the 350 mark which required us to panel link 2 challenger panels. These 4 jobs took us about 18 months to finish. From this experience i learned how to plan large installions and co-ordinate other trades people.

Are there any other things you look at when evaluating someones experience?

I love company cars. I currently have a new ford station wagon with a big aussie 6 cylinder motor.

:yes::yes::yes:

The fit off of my panels and accessories is always very neat. I can honestly say that my panels are some of the neatest you would see here in australia. Whenever another technician sees my panels they always comment on how neatly they are fitted off.

You'll get told off for being too neat :P

How much you'll earn comes down to how long is peice of string?

I don't know if you'll need a work permit, your best bet is to contact the larger companies listed here to see if they can hook up with a job & how much moneys attached www.nsi.org.uk

If your coming to the uk don

I want to come because of the weather. to hot in the roff here in summer.

I have an Italian and an australian passport. So as i understand it i wont need a work permit over there because of all the EU stuff

Is it the same over there when it comes to neatness?? Here they dont care just want the job done quick.

I want to come because of the weather. to hot in the roff here in summer.

I have an Italian and an australian passport. So as i understand it i wont need a work permit over there because of all the EU stuff

Is it the same over there when it comes to neatness?? Here they dont care just want the job done quick.

Italian passport :yes: your in sonny

neatness? depends which side of the bed your boss has got out of

have a look at the hex's job site https://careers.//.National Installer.//-fire-and-security.co.uk/ your working for the same group already?

I love company cars. I currently have a new ford station wagon with a big aussie 6 cylinder motor.

:yes::yes::yes:

Looking forward to diesel vauxhall astra? ;)

Honeywell has no relationship with //.National Installer.// here. //.National Installer.// actually has a really bad name here. There are not many techs who will actually work for them. The only ones that will are the ones who are desperate for work which usually means they are no good. I actually met one that did not own a soldering iron or a multi meter.

Mr Happy,

It says you are a trade member. Who do you work for?

Ooops i mixed up trade with manufacturer so dont worry about it

To the best of my knowledge honeywell is not a tyco company. Well I hope not anyway. Here //.National Installer.// uses DSC panels for their domestic and small commercial jobs and does not use any honeywell stuff except for the Vista 128fb wireless fire panel when they need it.

Archived