Security Installer Community

Courses For Engineers??????

AidenC

Hi,

Ive only been an alarm engineer for 7/8 months now(service engineer), prior to this i was an electronic engineer in the RAF(6years), and since ive left the forces they will still pay me 1000pound a year to do courses with,(for up to 3 years), I just was wanting feedback from the more experienced engineers who know of or have been on worthwhile courses before i decide what to use mine on?

Thanks

Aiden

Guest MrTrim

It depends on what kind of work you're looking into.

I'm studying a C&G III in Alarm Installation, were as some of my colleagues are studying NVQ Level III in Security Systems.

Where are you based?

Based in Lancashire, So far ive gained the following thats kind of relevant:

BTEC Electronics Engineering

BTEC Intermediate Award in Security Systems Installation

BTEC Intermediate Award in Security Systems Cabling (copper & fibre)

City & Guilds 3466/04 Data Communications Cable Installation and Testing (copper)

City & Guilds 3466/02 Optical Fibre Installation and Testing (multimode)

City & Guilds 3466/03 Optical Fibre Installation and Testing (singlemode)

Im really looking to step up from this, maybe a degree, in what i dont know, but if i did its a lot of work and would it be worth anything in this trade, i dont want to waste the money there giving me but at the same time i dont want to waste 20hours a week for 6years to do the degree :no: ???

Aiden

You boys in blue sure get spoilt with the training :)

Its hard for me to explain this but I would say you are over trained as a service eng, Im not nocking service eng before the rest of you start but I think you need to start getting you CV out to some major players. Companys that do large intergrated systems, where do you see your self in five years time, designing or repairing ?

If you get a degree, then what ? security consultant maybe.

For your next course maybe try cameras etc, the RAF do this in house. I think its at RAF oddington(or sounds simlar) I spent two weeks there doing some good stuff with cameras. Are all the courses part of your resetlemet ?.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Only the security installation and cabling btec were ressettlement(though these courses were quite basic0, i was primarily a datacomms engineer when i was in there thats where i gained the other qualifications, since starting with initial they have put me on a basic CCTV and basic intruder course, since then they have let me be so wanted to do something off my own back, i have no idea where i want to be in five years, it seems like a whole new world ive jumped into and im a little unsure on the options, from a service engineer which would be the best route to become a designer or repairer?

Also the only courses which they will pay for has to be NVQ level 3 equivillent or above!

Thanks for the replies

Aiden

I didnt know you worked for Initial, Get onto HR and get them to contact systems division. This would be worth a look and may be right up your street. If you draw a blank let me know as I know some engineers at systems who may be able to help. Im sure they are looking for field service techies a the mo, but not sure which area.

They offered me a job on maint, but Im more into install. They fit and maint some very high profile sites with top of the range equipment and get training course all the time, Oh and unmarked cars :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Hi, would i be right in presuming that systems devision basically do the same job but bigger scale with the latest equipment, no doubt paid more? :yes: , if so i would fancy doing this although i think i may lack the experience at the moment having only worked with alarms for 8months as the rest of my exerience is in datacomms. I work at the Blackburn branch so presumably the systems lot will be based at head office??

I appreciate the feedback

Aiden

Hi, would i be right in presuming that systems devision basically do the same job but bigger scale with the latest equipment, no doubt paid more? :yes: , if so i would fancy doing this although i think i may lack the experience at the moment having only worked with alarms for 8months as the rest of my exerience is in datacomms. I work at the Blackburn branch so presumably the systems lot will be based at head office??

I appreciate the feedback

Aiden

Why not use your contacts to see if MOD deal with electronic security with contractors who may jump at the chance to train some one who was part of the customers system?????

Paul.

Archived