Security Installer Community

1x Vision Factory Montage Plus - Swap For 8 Channel Dvr

Guest commjo

Just had a quick look at the manual for the EDSR100 and it can decode the following mux streams.

Everfocus 4BDX, 4CDX, 16CTX. Robot MV99P. DM Sprite, ATV QSP-860MPX.

Does the Montage use the same codeing as any of these?

Guest Rockford
I have just joined this forum, looking for info on DVRs.

I have 8 cameras (not PTZs), linked to a Vision Factory Montage Plus - fantastic bit of kit. Also I have audio from 2 of the cameras.

I also have a bank of Sony SVHS VCRs - SVT168 - doing regular recording.

I am now looking to move to digital. The VCRs are going, so I am left with the multiplexer. It cost a fortune, and so I would like to get best value out of it.

What is the easiest and cheapest option for me to go digital, and get a networkable device/PC which will record all 8 cctv channels, both sound channels, and email/sms me when there is pre-defined movement?

Does anyone want to swap my Montage Plus for the above solution?

I am based in the North West.

cheers

hmm... See, when the Montage+ outputs a multiplexed signal (to the VCR output socket), it basically sends one frame from each camera in very very quick succession. if you were to watch that feed on a monitor, you'd see what I mean. When you PLAY such a feed back to the unit from a VCR, it "decodes" this and puts the signals back in the right place. Magic! Now, IN THEORY, if you had a DVR which was able to capture as quickly as the Montage outputs those frames, you could record and playback using a DVR. You would almost certainly have to have only one input to the DVR in order to keep its performance as high as possible... You would HAVE to play back via the Montage for decoding purposes though...

I just don't know if that'd work, but I really might!! We have what we'd need to try it here, so if we get chance I'll try it!

hmm... See, when the Montage+ outputs a multiplexed signal (to the VCR output socket), it basically sends one frame from each camera in very very quick succession. if you were to watch that feed on a monitor, you'd see what I mean. When you PLAY such a feed back to the unit from a VCR, it "decodes" this and puts the signals back in the right place. Magic! Now, IN THEORY, if you had a DVR which was able to capture as quickly as the Montage outputs those frames, you could record and playback using a DVR. You would almost certainly have to have only one input to the DVR in order to keep its performance as high as possible... You would HAVE to play back via the Montage for decoding purposes though...

I just don't know if that'd work, but I really might!! We have what we'd need to try it here, so if we get chance I'll try it!

I think you may have a problem with synchronisation that way, although you would only need 25fps, but the image back from the dvr would be a digital image converted back to a pal signal hence stripping the encoding information. but I could be wrong

I have seen single channel DVRs working with multiplexers but it was one of those ideas that never really took off.

The (old style) Everfocus EDSR has an adjustable menu parameter which I think was called 'Vertical Offset' and I am fairly sure that by taking this to quite a low level one of my customers got this working (synchronised) with a montage.

I'll see if I can dig out more info

Guest philhaley

I would suggest that you just bite the bullet and buy an entry level dvr from gardiners such as the eco9 by Dedicated Micros which you should be able to get for under ****. It has 9 inputs as the name suggests, a built in CD-r and is networkable. You will also have the advantage of advanced search facilities that wouldn't be available to you using the mux. If you need audio you may have to spend a bit more and get something like the DS2.

I would suggest that you just advertise the rest of your equipment on ebay.

Hope this helps.

Phil Haley

Please do not post trade prices in the public forum

Guest Rockford
I think you may have a problem with synchronisation that way, although you would only need 25fps, but the image back from the dvr would be a digital image converted back to a pal signal hence stripping the encoding information. but I could be wrong

Yes, perhaps... As I said in my previous post, its all hypothetical since I've never tried it but in theory, it could work... If anyone has any accounts of this being accomplished with a Montage with any DVR, let me know... I'd be interested to hear if it has actually been made to work.

Guest CarlVF

For your info guys this has been tried and does work with some DVR's so long as the DVR does not strip out the vertical blanking field as this is where Montage + holds the info about which camera is the current frame. I dont have a list of single channel DVR's that i know work but i will find out from an exsisting customer what DVR they are using with their Montage +.

By the way i am technical support from Vision Factory and yes Montage DV is coming at IFSEC :)

http://www.visionfactorycctv.co.uk/Montage_DV.pdf

Guest Rockford
For your info guys this has been tried and does work with some DVR's so long as the DVR does not strip out the vertical blanking field as this is where Montage + holds the info about which camera is the current frame. I dont have a list of single channel DVR's that i know work but i will find out from an exsisting customer what DVR they are using with their Montage +.

By the way i am technical support from Vision Factory and yes Montage DV is coming at IFSEC :)

http://www.visionfactorycctv.co.uk/Montage_DV.pdf

So actually, a VF Cameo D1 might be able to do this provided it was only recording one signal at max frame rate. I will try this!

So you guys are at IFSec?! I shall come and introduce myself!! :P

Guest CarlVF

This has been tested and does not work with the Cameo D1 as the D1 clips the image to the picture areas only. This will mean that the video when played back from the Cameo D1 does not contain the camera number info required by Montage to de-mux.

Archived