Security Installer Community

Pda's

Guest Alarm Guard

Been about for yonks.

hi Lurch,

which one has Linux? not seen it 'pushed' anywhere.

as to the MIO A701 the jury is still out, has had the obligatory lock-uo's and seems slower than the SPV's to pull up the contacts from SD memory.

No backup to sd (that i've found yet). Display difficult to read in bright sunshine. back case a bit flimsey and carry case supplied next to usless. other than that a lot lighter than the SPV's and smaller too.

service and bluetoothe lights are a lot dimmer, so don't tend make a dark room look like an invasion from mars.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Alan,

I think Lurch is referring to the Sharp Zaurus. Unfortunately, I don't think it has been as much of a hit as it should have been over here. Additionally, the release of some models (particularly the later one (6000?)) was restricted to certain markets, each offering differing features.

There are plans afoot to provide a Linux distribution for some of the HTC devices (such as the XDAs).

Andrew

Any statement made or information provided in this post are the mere opinions of the author, and no inferrence is to be made as to the quality of information nor should any reliance be placed upon its contents.

I think Lurch is referring to the Sharp Zaurus.

That'd be it. :) Couldn't remember the name but I remember a thread on a Linux newsgroup where a few people had got them from several years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all,

i know this post has gone a bit quiet but anyway.

i got the mio A701, its a smart phone with W5 mobile installed and has the satnav areciever built in. been using it a while now and given whats in it got built in to be said pretty good so far. younget a car charger and screen mount, a case is also in the kit but a waste of time as you have to remove the phone from it to use it, given its a touh screen and as several buttons this is anoying to say the least.

you don't get the nav software in the box as i bought mine of contrac,so unless you sort a package out you got buy it. it works with TomTom Navigator 5 (which i already had a registered copy of). but is very slow seeing the gps receiver, even with the latest v.2 , and takes about 2 - 3 mins to 'clock on'.

all the other stuffs in it as you expect with MW5 word, exel and powerpoint viewer, and a backup is provided for your contacts via software to your pc, but not your files.

its not faultless as it locks on ocasion but never lost any data - yet! and it's reluctant to release programs which you've finished with, so you have to go into settings and memory to shut them down.

i bought CoPilot 5, an original for

i'm waiting for a linux PDA ;)

You could buy a Sharp Zaurus, most of them (if not all) run on Linux and are pretty well supported.

A Linux porting effort exists for a lot of other PDAs, including the Dell Axim X50v which I own, but it's too slow and I expect they will never ever get decent results :'(

For those interested, I have choosen to have a simple cellphone _and_ a PDA, and not a smartphone. The reason is that "simple" PDAs usually have a bigger screen, more processing power, and more extension options (more card slots, ...).

But it's a bit annoying to have to carry my wallet, my PDA, my cellphone, and my keys... having a smartphone would reduce the hassle I admit.

uski

You could buy a Sharp Zaurus, most of them (if not all) run on Linux and are pretty well supported.

A Linux porting effort exists for a lot of other PDAs, including the Dell Axim X50v which I own, but it's too slow and I expect they will never ever get decent results :'(

For those interested, I have choosen to have a simple cellphone _and_ a PDA, and not a smartphone. The reason is that "simple" PDAs usually have a bigger screen, more processing power, and more extension options (more card slots, ...).

But it's a bit annoying to have to carry my wallet, my PDA, my cellphone, and my keys... having a smartphone would reduce the hassle I admit.

uski

hate clutter, so i secumbed to the MIO A701 'charms' as a compromise, i wish it just had WiFi other than that i like it lot's

regs

alan

Archived