Security Installer Community

Cctv Psu Connections

adrian SA

Hi all

I cant seem to find the CCTV regulations anywhere on the web.

If I am installing an 8 Amp PSU for a CCTV system, can I wire a plug onto it and plug it into a normal 240VAC socket, or do the regulations require me to connect it into a fused, unswitched spur ?

I know some small PSUs are supplied as plug-in units.

Some advice please.

Adrian

Hi all

If I am installing an 8 Amp PSU for a CCTV system, can I wire a plug onto it and plug it into a normal 240VAC socket, or do the regulations require me to connect it into a fused, unswitched spur ?

Some advice please.

Adrian

I cant quite believe i am answering this question but of course you can!

The worst that can happen is someone will unplug it and the camera's will go off and thats where the real questions will be asked!

Hi all

Some advice please.

Adrian

8 amp psu for all cameras mm

I have had problems with ghosting doing this.

I always prefer unswitched fused spur for camera psu's and the recorder when possible, or out of reach of the cleaner.

8 amp psu for all cameras mm

I have had problems with ghosting doing this.

Why?

Ghosting is usally caused bay incorrect termination, running 2 signals down a multicore, poorly grounded video cables. strange to get ghosing problems using a single PSU.

I am a surveyor, and I getting attitude from one one my installation engineers who insists that spur for the PSUs are part of the NSI NACP20 regulations for CCTV

He is quite probably correct and if the installation is to regs then...........personally i have no idea but it would make sense to me.

I am a surveyor, and I getting attitude from one one my installation engineers who insists that spur for the PSUs are part of the NSI NACP20 regulations for CCTV

Do you not quote your CCTV installs to a standard then( NACP 20), surely you have a copy to work from?

:hmm:

Do you not quote your CCTV installs to a standard then( NACP 20), surely you have a copy to work from?

that what i'am thinking,

nacp 20 4.29 Power supplies" page 12

blah,blah blah "all mains connections should be in accordance with IEE regs"

with out diving into bs 7671 basicaly he's in the right ;)

Archived