Security Installer Community

Cctv Psu Connections

adrian SA

Guest ALSEC
I am a surveyor, and I getting attitude from one one my installation engineers who insists that spur for the PSUs are part of the NSI NACP20 regulations for CCTV

Well his "attitude" probably comes from having to attend a call out in the middle of the night because 2 cams have gone down - or in fact has someone just turned off the socket with the 2 cams on because he couldn't be ar*sed to do a proper job and run them from a spur..

Yes - I have been that man (Not my install - if it was then they would have been on spurs)

Listen to us engineers - we know what we are talking about!!

Hi all

I cant seem to find the CCTV regulations anywhere on the web.

If I am installing an 8 Amp PSU for a CCTV system, can I wire a plug onto it and plug it into a normal 240VAC socket, or do the regulations require me to connect it into a fused, unswitched spur ?

I know some small PSUs are supplied as plug-in units.

Some advice please.

Adrian

i wonder about pat testing regs (if commercial) using a plug. i've seen those test labels on gear connected this way even if it is screwed to a wall. the sparky's on here will know for sure.

given the weather if you screw a normal fan to the wall will it still require testing as a portable item?

regs

alan

I thought it was common practice to wire all CCTV equipment via non-switched fused spurs we do it all the time, including DVR's, video's and monitors.

i use UPS's (which output from kettle plug connectors) but then i use rack mounted kit inside a 19" case, monitor apart of course :rolleyes:

if central, the psu's are fed from the UPS to, if local supplies then psu with rechargeable, seems to stop many failures and gives some protection in power downs and reconnection splats.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived