Security Installer Community

Best Solution For Digital Recording And Control...

jig

Hi All,

Im hoping to have 6 Cameras installed on the outside of a residential property. The cameras will be placed under the eaves of the fron and back roofs with all the wiring(power and rg59) being run in the loft. There is a study on the first floor which wwill have the monitor and DVR. The cablining can be run down from the loft to the study.

The problem is I dont want it to be noisey (from the DVR) but at the same time I wish to have control of the cameras from the study.

What is the best solution for this scenario?

If I kept the DVR in the loft and run one cable down for the monitor what is the best way of controlling the DVR without being able to physically get to it?

All help, advice and ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Jig:)

Hi All,

Im hoping to have 6 Cameras installed on the outside of a residential property. The cameras will be placed under the eaves of the fron and back roofs with all the wiring(power and rg59) being run in the loft. There is a study on the first floor which wwill have the monitor and DVR. The cablining can be run down from the loft to the study.

The problem is I dont want it to be noisey (from the DVR) but at the same time I wish to have control of the cameras from the study.

What is the best solution for this scenario?

If I kept the DVR in the loft and run one cable down for the monitor what is the best way of controlling the DVR without being able to physically get to it?

All help, advice and ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Jig:)

Use a DVR with network access, then just connect it to, or create a network to your computer if you have one, usually the software will allow you to do virtually everything you need.

So whats wrong with the DM Unit that you were on about before?

Nothing wrong with the DM, thats been used in another location(office), need to by a new DVR for the home!

Use a DVR with network access, then just connect it to, or create a network to your computer if you have one, usually the software will allow you to do virtually everything you need.

If I do this can I control the DVR from the computer? Im thinking I could have the dvr in the loft and have an access point (wireless) attached to it which I can pick up through my wireless network?

Also you want it out of the way, otherwise if you have a break in they may just take it if its in an easily accessable place. Mines in the loft but i have a Keyboard for it.

What make dvr is it?How much was the keyboard?

ps im on a tight budget!

If it ain't networked though, it's a pain for backing up images if the unit is in the loft.

Def wish to network so I can view over the net when away, but im sure this is not as straight forward as I wont it to be!

You wont be able to use the access point in the way you mean, the only way to wireless the DVR is to make a Wireless bridge, with 2 Access points, and entering the MAC addresses of each AP in one another. You can daisy chain APs to extend a LAN another location.

DM DVRs will do all what you need and more. Check your PM

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

You have lots of options.

1- Leave the DVR in the loft and network it for access and backup.

2- Leave the DVR in the loft and network it for access and backup but add an external backup device in your office (you may need a USB repeater depending upon distance)

3- Leave the DVR in the loft and network it for access and backup and add a keyboard and external back up device in your office.

Obviously the loft and network only option (1) are the easiest. Regarding networking I can recommend you try the network over mains wiring adaptors. They are ultra-reliable and you have fast simple network connection between two points in your house out of the box, I use a pair myself. Plug one in your loft 13A socket and the other in your office 13A socket and you have an 80Meg+ connection between the two without relying on Wireless. You can still add wireless access options for laptops for the best of both worlds.

If you go for a DVR with intelligent drive management it will only start and stop the drives when needed and should be quiet anyway. We now only use drives for set top boxes they are designed to be whisper quiet and 24/7 use.

Paul

System Q Ltd.

You wont be able to use the access point in the way you mean, the only way to wireless the DVR is to make a Wireless bridge, with 2 Access points, and entering the MAC addresses of each AP in one another. You can daisy chain APs to extend a LAN another location.

DM DVRs will do all what you need and more. Check your PM

Hi Watchdog.

Try the LAN over mains adapters they really do simplify this kind of situation and they create a reliable network link. They are great for homes but would need to be tested prior to use in noisy mains environments such as industrial units.

These people make the adapters;

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLA...hsethernet.html

Available for about

System Q Ltd.

Hi Watchdog.

Try the LAN over mains adapters they really do simplify this kind of situation and they create a reliable network link. They are great for homes but would need to be tested prior to use in noisy mains environments such as industrial units.

These people make the adapters;

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLA...hsethernet.html

Available for about

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Archived