Security Installer Community

Haydon Housing 240v

jig

Hi have purchased some Haydon housings( a while back) which state they are 24V but I wish to power them with 12Vdc for the heater, can I replace the heater so it can take the 12V input or is it easier to replace with new housings???Any cheap suppliers for quality housings?

Hi have purchased some Haydon housings( a while back) which state they are 24V but I wish to power them with 12Vdc for the heater, can I replace the heater so it can take the 12V input or is it easier to replace with new housings???Any cheap suppliers for quality housings?

Normally the heater inside a housing is simply a piece of wire wrapped around a slab of ceramic. It should make little difference switching to 12VDC instead of 24Vac. The rare exceptions are where the thermostat requires 24Vac.

Remenber your Ohm's Law though, if you half the voltage you double the current.

Hope this helps

Err, did you miss something out there? V=IR. W=VI.

So if you halve the voltage you NEED double the current.

Ohm's law states that the electrical current (I) flowing in an circuit is proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance ®.

Therefore V=IR, R=V/I and I=V/R

Thanks for making my point :P

Hey Paul, thanks for clearing the Thermister thing up.... didn't know that. You learn something every day.

So can I use these of 12V DC or should I sell and try and get hold of ones with the correct voltage??

The exact model number for the housings in question are:

TPH1000 Haydon External Heated Housing in 230 volt

IP66 Semi cable managed housing

High quality pressure diecast aluminum, Powder coated and stove finished

So can I use these of 12V DC or should I sell and try and get hold of ones with the correct voltage??

The exact model number for the housings in question are:

TPH1000 Haydon External Heated Housing in 230 volt

IP66 Semi cable managed housing

High quality pressure diecast aluminum, Powder coated and stove finished

Hi.

I spotted the 240V a.c in the title but 24V a.c was mentioned in the thread and I thought 24V a.c was the actual heater voltage.

If it

System Q Ltd.

Archived