Security Installer Community

How Good An Image Can You Expect Viewing Over A Lan?

jizzer

Hi,

having networked (for the first time)the american dynamics dvr to my PC mainly for adjusting settings downloading files etc as the unit will be remotely mounted in the loft,What image quality can you expect when you are viewing live images on the pc over a wired LAN, network card is 10/100, Pentium p4 .1024mb ram.

The image is certainly not real time motion more a webcam image ..is this the norm or are there any networking "tweaks" that can be used to improve performance??

Thanks

Hi,

having networked (for the first time)the american dynamics dvr to my PC mainly for adjusting settings downloading files etc as the unit will be remotely mounted in the loft,What image quality can you expect when you are viewing live images on the pc over a wired LAN, network card is 10/100, Pentium p4 .1024mb ram.

The image is certainly not real time motion more a webcam image ..is this the norm or are there any networking "tweaks" that can be used to improve performance??

Thanks

Get it wired through a tv modulator and fed round the house via a loft box type aerial distribution unit, you can then flick to the cameras (on sequence) on any TV, playback will be fine then. Although you may need a keyboard or remote extender to rewind etc in fron of your tv.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Hi,

Thanks

hi jizzer,

LAN images can vairy from kit to kit, really cheap stuff might give a fair picture but can be slow in transmition, so a person might be in front of the camera, but may not appear on the remote kit till some 20 seconds later.

in general there is some 'chunkyness' due to frame update rates in most i've seen LJD Leviathan, Colossus (poor backup) or ezCCTv geovision give good results. i did install teleEye kit but they are not 'on the ball' imo when dealing with problems or quotes.

a fair compromise between low cost and function is a client of mine has a quad dvr recorder attached via a composite to UHF modulator, to the Tv terstrial system, control via an IR radio 'mouse' gives good results with kit placed in the loft.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Get it wired through a tv modulator and fed round the house via a loft box type aerial distribution unit, you can then flick to the cameras (on sequence) on any TV, playback will be fine then. Although you may need a keyboard or remote extender to rewind etc in fron of your tv.

Thats exactly what I am going to do watchdog,I already have the modulator up in the loft whch at the moment is feeding my dome cam around the house I just have the dvr lashed up on my desk at the moment with a video cam as an input so I can have a play.Yes the modulator will feed the images around the house the LAN just being used for settings and downloads.I am looking around for a infrared remote extender so I can use the AD remote from the living room ...any suggestions on a reliable remote extender??

I have been trying to decide if THIS would be suitable as I have the loft box distribution system that goes with sky this unit could then be powered via the voltage on the co ax from the sky box there by not needing a power supply I am rather concerned that very bit of kit you buy at the moment has a power supply buzzing away I assume the infra red extenders do aswell?

hi jizzer,

LAN images can vairy from kit to kit, really cheap stuff might give a fair picture but can be slow in transmition, so a person might be in front of the camera, but may not appear on the remote kit till some 20 seconds later.

in general there is some 'chunkyness' due to frame update rates in most i've seen LJD Leviathan, Colossus (poor backup) or ezCCTv geovision give good results. i did install teleEye kit but they are not 'on the ball' imo when dealing with problems or quotes.

a fair compromise between low cost and function is a client of mine has a quad dvr recorder attached via a composite to UHF modulator, to the Tv terstrial system, control via an IR radio 'mouse' gives good results with kit placed in the loft.

regs

alan

I assume the dvr has the capability to be controlled via a mouse?? I just have an I/R remote for controlling from the living room

What setting do you have the image quality on?

page 51 of the manual.

I would recommend a minimum of setting it to Medium(18kb PAL), to get DVD quality you need above 25Kb so maybe you better set it to Superior.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

What setting do you have the image quality on?

page 51 of the manual.

I would recommend a minimum of setting it to Medium(18kb PAL), to get DVD quality you need above 25Kb so maybe you better set it to Superior.

YesI have had every setting available set to give the highest quality recording.... what about the codec being jpeg does that make a difference is it "old" technology or should I still be able to get a good fluid image with this unit believe me it is nowhere even close to dvd quality! not even vhs!!

YesI have had every setting available set to give the highest quality recording.... what about the codec being jpeg does that make a difference is it "old" technology or should I still be able to get a good fluid image with this unit believe me it is nowhere even close to dvd quality! not even vhs!!

Hi.

JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group this being the original name of the group that wrote the original standard back in 1992. So to answer your question JPEG is pretty old technology! As the standard was for compressing photographs the compression technique was good but the results depend upon the amount of compression used. When a DVR uses the JPEG technology all it is doing is in effect is storing "photos" from the CCTV camera and playing them back in the correct sequence to provide a moving picture, often know as MJPEG or moving-JPEG (some call it a movie-JPEG)

So what the problems with JPEG technology?

Well JPEG is "lossy," so the image you see does not contain all the information it did before compression as some of the original information is discarded. Also as a DVR needs to store VAST amount of video information the JPEG compression algorithm isn't good enough as it was only designed to compress the odd photo not millions of images stored on a DVR!

JPEG2000 technology (you guest it born in 2000!) is far superior and actually has a

System Q Ltd.

Hi.

JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group this being the original name of the group that wrote the original standard back in 1992. So to answer your question JPEG is pretty old technology! As the standard was for compressing photographs the compression technique was good but the results depend upon the amount of compression used. When a DVR uses the JPEG technology all it is doing is in effect is storing "photos" from the CCTV camera and playing them back in the correct sequence to provide a moving picture, often know as MJPEG or moving-JPEG (some call it a movie-JPEG)

So what the problems with JPEG technology?

Well JPEG is "lossy," so the image you see does not contain all the information it did before compression as some of the original information is discarded. Also as a DVR needs to store VAST amount of video information the JPEG compression algorithm isn't good enough as it was only designed to compress the odd photo not millions of images stored on a DVR!

JPEG2000 technology (you guest it born in 2000!) is far superior and actually has a

Archived