Security Installer Community

Dvr Bandwidth Requirements

Guest ajzenpon

Guest ajzenpon

How can I calculate required bandwidth for remote access to the DVR over LAN/WAN network. I know that the size of the picture depends on the parameters like:

- compression type (MPEG, M-JPEG, Wavelet),

- frames/s,

- movement, etc.

Most of the manufacturers specifies only Ethernet connection speed (10M, 100M, 1G), but I need actual bandwidth size for one or more remote users.

Darko

If you need something definitive, there's a really handy little ethernet utility that you might be able to get off the tinternet.

Look for Ethereal (Network Protocol Analyser)... It'll log and show you exactly what the throughput rate is between two IP addresses.

Hope this helps

Matt

Most of the manufacturers specifies only Ethernet connection speed (10M, 100M, 1G), but I need actual bandwidth size for one or more remote users.

If you think about what's being transferred, it's only a series of JPEGS (unless you're using MPEG when it gets more complex). So take your image size in KB, multiply it by PPS, and voila, instant KB/s calculation.

--

psumner@dmicros.com

Manufacturer

If you think about what's being transferred, it's only a series of JPEGS (unless you're using MPEG when it gets more complex). So take your image size in KB, multiply it by PPS, and voila, instant KB/s calculation.

yep - do not anyhow forget that your adsl speed is announced in kbps (kilo bits per second) not kBps (kilo bytes per second).

in case you have 1Mbps upstream you have to divide that by 8 to get MBps --> 1/8=0,125MBps -> 125kBps -> approx 4 PPS then..

in case you have 1Mbps upstream you have to divide that by 8 to get MBps --> 1/8=0,125MBps -> 125kBps -> approx 4 PPS then..

In the UK most Broadband connections are only 256k upstream, i.e. totally inadequate for serious video.

Even the 8Mb (often less in reality) connections now being rolled out only give about 400kb upstream at best. :(

Archived