Security Installer Community

Recorded Sound On Dvr Query

jizzer

Hi,

Having installed the American dynamics dvr(see previous threads) it has recording option for 1 channel of sound is it the "norm " for Dvr's to record the sound only on the recorded image ie I was expecting the unit to pass the audio on the live/realtime image but it does not you can only hear audio when you play a recording from the dvr or download a clip in .AVI format.

I currently have audio /video fed into a modulator distributed around the house and am trying to figure out a workaround to get audio on the live feed?

If I split the mic connection and feed 1 into dvr and 1 into modulator I would get 2 sounds on playback of recording the live feed and recorded feed.

The only other way I could think of doing it is to split vid& feed into a second modulator set at a different channel and have one channel for recorded play back and another channel for the live feed and audio.

Also on LAN playback I cannot get any audio at all is this the norm?

The LAN connection is still poor and trying to download the recordings takes absoloutley ages about 6 seconds to download 1 second of video/sound as a rough guide.

Just as a rule of thumb over a home lan ,dvr cross wired connected to pc ,good spec pc, how long should it take to download say 1 Mb of data with a 10/100 network card.

Sorry for so many questions in one thread but its the first time experimenting with a dvr.

cheers

Hi,

Having installed the American dynamics dvr(see previous threads) it has recording option for 1 channel of sound is it the "norm " for Dvr's to record the sound only on the recorded image ie I was expecting the unit to pass the audio on the live/realtime image but it does not you can only hear audio when you play a recording from the dvr or download a clip in .AVI format.

Not familiar with your model, does it have audio in and audio out connections? If it just has audio in then you probably won't get realtime audio, you will need to playback.

I currently have audio /video fed into a modulator distributed around the house and am trying to figure out a workaround to get audio on the live feed?

If I split the mic connection and feed 1 into dvr and 1 into modulator I would get 2 sounds on playback of recording the live feed and recorded feed.

I assume the audio is in conjuction with a certian camera? Put the camera and mic through the modulator before it gets to the DVR, you should then get live audio&video on your Tv(s)

The only other way I could think of doing it is to split vid& feed into a second modulator set at a different channel and have one channel for recorded play back and another channel for the live feed and audio.

Split the original audio to go to the first modulator and then the DVR, there shouldn't be a problem with that I don't think. Use the second modulator to display output of the rest of your cameras from your DVR output.

Also on LAN playback I cannot get any audio at all is this the norm?

Like I say, I'm not familiar with the unit your using.

The LAN connection is still poor and trying to download the recordings takes absoloutley ages about 6 seconds to download 1 second of video/sound as a rough guide.

Just as a rule of thumb over a home lan ,dvr cross wired connected to pc ,good spec pc, how long should it take to download say 1 Mb of data with a 10/100 network card.

If your running at 100 (100Mbits ps) you should be able to DL 12.5 MBytes in a second, so it should take 0.08Seconds to DL 1MByte (is that right anyone??!)

Sorry for so many questions in one thread but its the first time experimenting with a dvr.

cheers

It does sound like you have a problem with the network connection between your DVR and PC, but without knowing your DVR model and network setup, I'm afraid I can't really be of any help with that.

If you don't know......ask.

It does sound like you have a problem with the network connection between your DVR and PC, but without knowing your DVR model and network setup, I'm afraid I can't really be of any help with that.

The dvr has phono audio in and phono audio out both at line level the mic feed goes into the dvr and the audio out is fed into the modulator with the monitor out from the dvr, one phono (audio) one bnc(video) I am only wanting sound from one location its a seperate mic not attached to a cam but when viewing the live feed it wont pass audio I only get audio on the recordings ....just wondered if other dvrs pass audio on live feed?

If I pass the mic into the modulator before the dvr I will get live audio all the time on top of the play back audio..

Didnt really want to fork out another

Archived