Security Installer Community

Cctv System Using Gprs Card On A Pc

Guest SmokeDog

Guest SmokeDog

Hello all,

I have searched the forum and cannot find anything that really fits the bill of what I am trying to do, so I thought I might ask and see if anyone has any pointers.

I need to setup a remotely viewable CCTV system at a site that has no fixed-line internet access. I have seen systems on the internet that offer an all-in-one solution for this kind of thing - i.e. a camera with a build in recorder and GPRS device that just allows you to connect to it remotely without the need for a PC or internet connection on the site, but these are quite expensive, and I do not think I really need all of that for my situation.

Basically the site has no land-line telephone, and does not have the ability to connect to another site via WiFi, so that is not an option. However, the site *does* have a PC and mains electricity. I need to be able to attach between 1 and 4 cameras to this PC, or to another system that would do the job.

I was thinking the best way to do this would be to have the PC access the internet via a GPRS card if/when required, and record video (or even just a series of images) on the PC's hard disk if possible.

I do not even need streaming video recorded on the PC - a series of images taken at maybe 1fps intervals would suffice. If possible I would like to also install a PIR or other motion sensor and have the system alert me if motion is detected (i.e. via SMS preferably), so I can dial in to the PC and view a live picture remotely from a PC (or mobile phone but the mobile phone option is not necessary).

I do *not* need to have the images uploaded to a webserver anywhere, just available for download or remote viewing directly from the PC when required.

The only GPRS cards I can find are PCMCIA cards for use with laptops, unless anyone knows of a PCI version for a Desktop PC, in which case I can connect a PCMCIA data card to the PC via a PCMCIA-to-PCI converter card that I have seen (although this is not really a CCTV related thing, so I can sort this out).

I could also do with being able to have a camera system that is able to view pictures at night, although I know this is possible by getting an infra-red camera/light combination, so this may not be within the scope of this enquiry...

I know there are a lot of specific requests on here, but I hope someone can help point me in the right direction with regard to a setup that is relatively cheap and that would do the job. I hoped that having mains power and a PC/GPRS card available might save some of the cost associated with the all-in-one mobile CCTV systems that I have seen.

The cameras will need to be relatively hardy as they will be in an outdoor environment, and although they will be sheltered, they may need to be able to withstand some moisture. The PC/System will be indoors.

To sum up:

Really, in essence all I need is a system that will allow me to connect multiple cameras to a PC or other system and then have the ability to connect to that PC/System via GPRS to view the video signal when alerted that there is movement on the site.

I have a budget of around

I don't know about it fitting in your budget but the idea is pretty straight forward.

Install a PC/laptop with a GPRS data connection. Install a DVR and network it to your PC/laptop. You should only have to do a bit of port forwarding and set up a DDNS to have Robert as your Mother's Brother. :yes:

If you don't know......ask.

I have previously built a similar system for a golf club monitoing the course and can say your budget is at least a 10th of what you need. You have quite specilist requirements and I think you will need profesional support through this. There are many issues to overcome mate, and hope you find a diy solution

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest SmokeDog

Thanks very much for the comments, and I thought it would be as simple as that, but I was hoping to avoid the cost of the DVR and use the PC instead... As high fps video is not required, I thought that this might be possible, even as the all-in one mobile soultions are going for under

he is going to struggel on the budget, but from what i understand he is trying to keep a system locally recording with either video motion detection or an external sensor to alert him of motion and then view the stream. Yes this can be done via smartphone or pda laptop etc and yes it can be done via email alerts or sms text messaging all down the gprs dynamic ip link, but trust me it isnt a matter of going to b&q and buying a model 88. Its involved, and im fairl;y sure its custom, but if there is a product that does this then id love to look at it

yes, you could if you wnted use a paknet radio pad to do this. But thats even more involved. Yes you need to use a gsm modem but sending images over an industry standard format that can be viewed by chtml handsets isnt basic.

i assume you mean dualcom or red gsm. These send basic text signals in differing ways but images are a diffrent ball game. jpeg will give you the best support accros handsets but requires more bandwidth, jpeg 2000 is a good compromise but mobile support is non existant. mpeg4 aqnd h264 are great for low bandwidth (not recording though but thats another topic) but again no handset support. wurfl is the best supported markup language for mobile web browsers, but all the work i have done in the area has been on either symbian using th opera browser or ms 2003 se or wm5 and pocket ie. The main advantage for me and ms handhelds is the fact you develop your own handhelp application usinf the mobile framework, or eVB on the older stuff

Archived