Security Installer Community

Dodgy Electrical Work Uncovered (pics)

antinode

• 2 weeks later...

Part P will probably just *increase* the likely hood that more work like this goes undetected, people will still do it, more so now, as it bound to cost more due to part P, and when someone comes around to test, they will keep quiet about any work done on the side.

part P wont stop someone who does work like that from still doing it. Only a idiot would install stuff that badly, do you really think part p will make a difference to a idiot?

Found this today under loft insulation whilst installing an alarm:

post-1903-1158000058_thumb.jpg

The flex feeds a 500w security light. The bare copper that comes in from the left is actually a wire coat hanger that is attatched to the metal framework in the attic (you can see a small piece next to the screwdriver). As you can see, the flex earth wire is twisted around this coat hanger and taped up. The live for the flex is twisted to the live on the incoming feed and taped up. The other end of the coat hanger is twisted to the earths in the 3 T+E cables you can see on the right. One of these cables goes to the landing switch, the other two split off to feed two wall lights on the landing. The mains feed comes from under the floorboard in the middle. None of this was earthed. I redid the lot with a new JB and earth feed from the new boiler supply in the loft and turned off the upstairs lighting MCB. I have strongly recommended they get in a pro to check and make changes to the whole install (they were told that everything was fine when they had their CU upgraded earlier this year)

A little more:

post-1903-1158000579_thumb.jpg

The guy that did this was the previous occupier of the house and works for a large aircraft company servicing aircraft. How does he sleep at night knowing he left this in some elses house? I am lost for words...

Nice fluke tester dsp 4000 range if i'm not mistaken !!

Archived