Security Installer Community

Australian Standards

integrafire

Just started my new job in fire industry over here. Standards are soooo different. Detection circuits on a floor do not have to be in fire proof cable and do not have earth monitoring. Only runs up vertical penetrations have to be fire proof. Best part, annunciation circuits dont need to be fire proof either, bells or PAVA. Saw one today wired in what looked like heavy duty bell wire. I cant help thinking our standards are probably amongst the best in the world. I have seen loads of office buildings with no detection or MCPs at all. Dont need them. Systems are designed over here to protect structure rather than life. I am not complaining, just making a comparison i suppose. Any thoughts on the subject peeps.

Any thoughts on the subject peeps.

Yes - don't ever let an Australian hear you say that their standards are not the best in the world. :no:

The sooner you accept that everything from Australia is the best in the world the better. ;)

Bye the way, Queensland is the best state in Australia. Oh, and Noosa is the best town in Queensland. With Australia being the best country in the world, then I guess by living in Noosa - I live in the best place in the world B)

Aaaaaaaargh - I'm turning into an Australian !!!!

(Hope your trip to Brisbane went well)

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Rain.. Of course it rains.. blimey what did you want DESERT.. Thats why the coastal strip is so lush up in queensland.. cos it rains... Go next time during the winter months, there is much less rain then and still stonking good weather.. Blimey I am begining to think I should have stayed .... Wheres my bank book ......... :P

Yes see what you mean about Australian standards been trawling through the ausie wiring regs ready for my practical exam in Perth Monday. No ring mains over here and most things have RCD protection.

Also we are suffering with bad weather, we thought Australia is always sunny.

Licensing is fun also you seem to need a licence to do anything even painting?

Trade Member

Dont get me started on wiring regs. 240 vac outlets in the bathrooms, standard light switches in bathrooms, no fused switched spurs. I had an australian arguing with me that their standards are far superior to ours. I think not. And yes, you do need to be licenced to do everything over here. You even need to be a licenced plumber to put up guttering. I suppose it is good that it keeps the trades protected over here but what makes me laugh is that depending on what state you are in you are not even allowed to change a plug unless you are a qualified sparks yet you dont have to have a specific ticket to be a fire alarm tech (dont call yourself an engineer here unless you have a degree). :ranting:

I hope john howard doesnt read this, he will call me unaustralian and get me put into an asylum seekers prison camp near darwin.

been trawling through the ausie wiring regs ready for my practical exam in Perth Monday. No ring mains over here

Oh right you've moved there...

And yes, you do need to be licenced to do everything over here. You even need to be a licenced plumber to put up guttering.................good that it keeps the trades protected over here ............

...............and get me put into an asylum seekers prison camp near darwin.

two more reasons to relocate.......

I hope john howard doesnt read this, he will call me unaustralian and get me put into an asylum seekers prison camp near darwin.

Or - you may end up leaving by choice like so many others. I leave permanently in a couple of weeks and am moving to Thailand where there is only one rule......

Rule 1: There are no rules !

The Aussie authorities love their rules and regulations and the Aussies love to abide by them. I'll bet you haven't been overtaken whilst driving since you arrived in Australia. That's because they WILL NOT cross any white lines on the road. You will no doubt have been a victim of the "Aussie Shuffle" (named by my kids). That's where you are looking for a car parking spot and you see a driver reverse all the way out of a spot expecting them to drive away. Just as you get exited about taking the spot - they drive right back in there - only PERFECTLY straight this time :hmm:

I've met some great people in my four years in Oz and have got some good (hopefully long term) customers, but my wife and kids simply cannot cope with Australians. Shame - such a beaut place B)

Hope you and your family make it. If you ever find yourself doubting your decision to emigrate, get on a plane straight back to the UK and remind yourself why you left in the first place.

Free Alarm Monitoring over the Internet from IP Alarms

Archived