Security Installer Community

Surrounded By Scumbags!!

nadger

ok that should have got me noticed.

where i live appears to be going down the pan quickly with regards to lazy doley theiving scumbags roaming after dark. a couple of years ago i fitted cheap n nasty cameras from micromark (yes those ones!) they work ok and the picture is pretty damn good for the price, but they can only be recorded via a video (anyone remember those??) a couple of months ago i did a job for a guy who sells cctv systems, we got talking and the upshot was i took a 2nd user 4 channel AVT Falcon dvr as part payment. i have finally got round to looking at this and now i need to source some cameras,

requirements are... 4 cameras, must work in daylight and nightime. they are to be fitted at my house, a semi detached with drive, detached garage and tool shed.

cam 1

location... approx 4mtrs high where the 2 dwellings are connected, (mine and next door) aiming towards my front door, drive and drive entry

light at night.... lantern by from door 60w lamp with high/low feature so basically not much light here.

cam 2

location... front corner of house approx 4 mtrs high aiming down the drive towards the garage

light at night 500w flood on gable end about 3 mtrs higher than camera location facing directly down onto the drive, triggers from pir aimed at drive in the area, so pitch black unless triggered

cam3

location... rear of property approx 2mtrs high under soffet of single story extension, just inside my boundary, faces the garage and back corner of house.

light at night... pitch black unless 2x 60w lanterns are triggered on the front of the garage about 8mtrs away

camera 4

location... undecided yet but most probably on tool shed (brick built) at btm of garden facing house and looking down side of garage

light at night... none currently but probably another 60w lantern with pir

i have read this forum for about 3 hours and have mixed messages, but the majority of you guys seem to think a day/night cam with IR would do the job if i have understood other posts. i dont really have a budget in mind and am open to suggestions. having said that please bear in mind its a domestic install on a 2 bed semi in a **** area not a 7 bed detached in 4 acres with a stables!!

hopefully i have provided enough accurate info for someone to offer their knowledge on this matter,

thanks for taking the time to read this (if you did :P )

Sorry if this comes over as rather negative, but you have suffered once because of the quallity of the kit you fitted and now you are considering installing a further system.

Theres far more to installing a decent CCTV system than simply choosing a camera, have you considered what type of lens you need, the existing lighting conditions where the cameras are to be fitted, will any of the cameras be looking towards each other, how long will you need to record for etc etc

I would personally save yourself a lot of hassle and pay a profesional to do the job.

i do appreciate there is more to it than choosing a camera, hence me posting questions here

lens, no i have no knowledge thats why i posted here asking for input from you guys

existing lighting... i have explained the best i could in my first post

cameras looking towards each other... the one at the front will be isolated i guess but the others should see each other

recording time... the dvr i have has a 250gb HD which im led to believe will give around 2 weeks recording before rewriting itself. is this correct?

i honestly do appreciate your comment about getting a pro in but as i have stated above i cannot justify the cost, i have been happy with the cheap n nasty set up i currently use but wanted to improve it without major costs, the main reason for improving it is to use a dvr instead of video.

cameras looking towards each other... the one at the front will be isolated i guess but the others should see each other

They don't need to see each other - you need to make sure (if they are facing each other) that the IR doesn't white out both images!

would that happen if they were both high up at different ends of the building but aiming down across each other? if so whats the best solution?

Nothing personal but it's taken me around 5-6 years to work this sort of stuff out - I'm not telling you unless you pay me..

Nothing personal but it's taken me around 5-6 years to work this sort of stuff out - I'm not telling you unless you pay me..
Would it not have been a little nicer, you know, not to have replied at all then.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived