Security Installer Community

the good old days

Guest jkon

inresponse to Andy, I remember the old active beams with a motor driving a wheel with cutouts to code the signal, or the safe cabinet with an air pump, a diaphram and a microswitch, or the old brass fire alarm diallers with the brass ball govenor. How about flag cells and a stock of wooden battery boxes in your van.

I don't know how far back you are going but I've got two customers using Group 4 alarm panels installed 1974. That's older than me. The circuit board seems to be made up of large components that look like they've been welded on rather than soldered.

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

Guest dun_that

When I left london 20 years ago //.National Installer.// (american district telegraph not tyco) used to have clockwork alarm systems which the subscriber had to wind before leaving premises, I will add this was for signalling and not protection. And im ashamed to say I have fitted the old record 999 units. And battery boxes Ikon must have worked for a posh company to have them in his van, we used to make them on site. But please remember todays bad days are tomorrows good old days

Regards

Adrian

Hi All,

tube and wire frame assembly was a skill I learned just as it became unpopular :(

I allways prefered foil though, a beautifuly foiled window does look nice.

especially with a nice coat of varnish to stop the customers damaging it when cleaning the windows.

Talking about old panels, I cut my teath on the old (from my point of view!!) Bently BS 80's and the like, I still come across them now.

only 2 hours left on call Whoopee.....

Regards

Bellman (at 5:50 AM, just back from a job and bleary eyed) :wacko:

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

:angry: oh the good old days with T&B................... :wacko:

hang on what am i saying...........

it only seems good when you look back ... at the time it was time consuning and frustrating. mind you the same goes for foiling- how many of you similar aged gents had to foil a door and somebody opened it just as you got to the last corner? :angry: ..yes me too!!!

its far easier now what with movement sensors, acoustic sensors and the like but you still find yourself missing the "good" old days. maybe you youngsters will be saying the same thing about todays modern equipment in 15-20 years.. :blink:

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

For 'the good old days' read 'large control units'.

When I was a service engineer for a national company I covered a rural area in which the company had historically been very strong.

There was a huge amount of huge equipment from bells that weighed more than the ladders you needed to reach them through to panels that were big enough to sit in to service them (I am not joking either).

I was bought into engineering on Galaxy, Guardall Windsor and other microprocessor based panels so never really knew the 'older' kit. But I bet if you talk to any of the engineers who used to install these huge panels, they would all say the same, '...it beats the new fangled **** that we have to put in today' or '...the panels arent made to last anymore!!!'

Oh yes, the good old days!!!

Archived