Security Installer Community

Realistic Dvr Selection

Guest Mintjamman

Guest Mintjamman

Hi, I am new to the this forum and that of CCTV, I have been lurking and reading up as much as I can as well as trying to work out from the quadmyer of sales spill on DVR machines. My task is to install a small home system consisting of four cams (colour )

I have already purcahsed the cams and they are great for my purposes. However I now need a DVR to bring this project to frution and I am bewildered by the choice. I have looked at various suppliers as well as the stuff available on Ebay as many other have and I am sorry to post as this set of questions have bound to have been asked a fair few times before !

I need a machine that will allow me to record at high quality, decent storage as well as removable backup (DVR or CD-r ) be networkable for remote veiwing with decent playback over the web. I also want a VGA output for hookup to a TFT screen which I already have as well.

I have been looking at the Solidex range of machines which boast a lot of features and seen a demo over the web of the live images via the dealers website,they loook ok to me ?

The machine is around the

Heres a few pointers in the right direction from what your told us so far.

Buy a big hard drive, the bigger the better, it will allow you to record for longer before it overwrites and/or it allows a better quality of recording.

Its for the home youve mentioned, does your PC have a DVD or CD writer?

If it does then why buy another one, get a machine with a lan connection and you can archive via your PC.

A TFT monitor will not give as good an image as a proper CCTV Monitor will do, so if your not so much bothered about sharp images, buy a TFT type flat screen TV. You can buy a scart/phono adaptor from asda for under a fiver and a phono to bnc adaptor for under a pound. The TV can be used as a TV when your not watching your cameras or recordings.

Guest Mintjamman

Thanks for the replies, I have made enquires with the DVR specifications and this is the reply that I have received

The VGA option is made via an external composite to VGA convertor, the maximum screen resolution would be 1024x768. The real time recording rate at Frame resolution (720x576) is 25fps over 4 channels and at CIF rate (352x288) is 100fps over 4 channels or 25fps per camera. Playback over the net depends entirely on your network/internet connection. Maximum I have acheived over the web is 15fps total, average 8

How does this stack up against other machines in this price range I wonder ?

Thanks

Guest Mintjamman

Sorry bout that, I was refering to the earlier post about the Smart 2 DVR 4 Channel Version that RJB was pointing me to.

Thanks

Theres a problem there as the unit is only available to trade, if your not trade we couldnt say so depending on who would sell it to you depends on what you would have to pay for it.

We aint allowed to post trade prices, sorry!

Sorry bout that, I was refering to the earlier post about the Smart 2 DVR 4 Channel Version that RJB was pointing me to.

Thanks

For quality images (when set to maximum res), good networking capabilities, reliability and against others in the same price band I would go for a Vista Quantum 4. I have seen some great results from these little boxes. No need for a DVD/CD writer, either network the footage out or stick a usb stick or USB HD in the front and download the footage.

http://www.norbain.com/products//ref:0253880/

Archived