Security Installer Community

Cctv Cable Over 150 Meters

rob walton

Hi guys,

I am in the process of quoting for a job where i am putting 2 Metal Halide floodlights and 2 dummy cameras at the enterance to a marina.

Whilst i am running my mains supply they have asked me run cctv cables for future use.

The cable run will be 150 meters, 2 cameras, possilbly with wash/wipe.

I will have 240 volts close to the cameras, should this be used or low voltage?

can mini coax (rg59 i think) be used over this distance?

any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Hi guys,

I am in the process of quoting for a job where i am putting 2 Metal Halide floodlights and 2 dummy cameras at the enterance to a marina.

Whilst i am running my mains supply they have asked me run cctv cables for future use.

The cable run will be 150 meters, 2 cameras, possilbly with wash/wipe.

I will have 240 volts close to the cameras, should this be used or low voltage?

can mini coax (rg59 i think) be used over this distance?

any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Rob

As you will know you can't run CCTV cables and 240v in the same containment. Appart from the electrical regs you can get induced ac voltage onto the coaxes which could create video problems.

I tend to use RG59 up to 200m anything beyond this and I would use a CC125. Make sure you get a direct burial type if it's going underground or in a duct.

As for wash wipe you need some method of control for this feature, we call this telemetry. For just a wash wipe I persoanlly would just use 'up the coax' telemetry, however if you think the client may want movable camera (PTZ or dome) then you would be advised to run a data cable as well.

cheers

Dave

Rob

As you will know you can't run CCTV cables and 240v in the same containment. Appart from the electrical regs you can get induced ac voltage onto the coaxes which could create video problems.

I tend to use RG59 up to 200m anything beyond this and I would use a CC125. Make sure you get a direct burial type if it's going underground or in a duct.

As for wash wipe you need some method of control for this feature, we call this telemetry. For just a wash wipe I persoanlly would just use 'up the coax' telemetry, however if you think the client may want movable camera (PTZ or dome) then you would be advised to run a data cable as well.

cheers

Dave

cheers Dave,

Do you mean "up the coax" can send a wash wipe command on the video coax?

or is an additional coax required?

also do you think the supply should be DC in the same conduit or PSU near the camera?

cheers

Rob

Up the coax is exactly that. You only need one coax for telemetry and video. The telemetry signals slot themselves into gaps in the colour burst of the camera.

You will need some sort of basic transmitter or better still a mux with built in. You will need a Receiver the other end like the BBV RX200 datasheet

If you are using low voltage cameras 24v ac & 12v DC with a seperate PSU, I don't see the harm in running a common 240v feed with the floods. However, again, if there is a chance of fully functional cameras then a clean supply and data required, otherwise the cameras have an awfull habit of moving on their own! :yes:

cheers

Dave

and please do not use the same power for the cameras and the flood lighting.

will cause problems

Im not picking holes in your statement , just curious as to what problems you have had as we have used the same supply for cameras and lighting without any problems. Its always handy to know.

Kev

As Camerabloke said, we have had a problem with a shared feed that stopped the domes touring when the floodlights came on. Seperate feed cured problem.

I am only using 2 x 80 watt lights, if there is a 12 vdc transformer close to the cameras surely there should not be a volt drop problem???

Is the prefered norm 240vac or low voltage dc, the cameras are static and wash wipe is not requested but there are an awfull lot of seagulls.

Archived