Security Installer Community

Installing Internet Explorer 7 ?

Guest rjbsec

Yesterday downloaded the IE7 upgrade from the Microsoft site - didn't really want it but heard that Microsoft would be "force-releasing" it via a future update so I wanted to get used to it and only accept the version with the non-Yahoo bar.

Installation went well ... but it knocked out my broadband!

Nothing I could do to resolve it and spent most of yesterday with no broadband - had to eventually use my Acronis Trueimage to restore a complete hard drive image from 24 hours earlier.

So if you intend to download and install IE7, make sure that you can get your PC back to how it was ... just in case!

I installed IE7 a few weeks ago but you also need the latest patch on MS update, however be sure to have a genuine copy of operating system as it checks and is a right ball ache to resolve. :yes:

SSAIB Approved.

If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough

:ranting: Yeah your version of XP has to be legal, I mean really, really legal, VLK legal (which is still legal) the "is this version genuine" tool don't like it neither does windowsupdate.com so it's automatic updates only - no chance of saving them anywhere thus moving the "install" files to another drive incase your windows drive screws up or you erm change hardware..

XP is like hmm "secure" to the point of paranoia - vista is even more so.. I can see the day when you chance any hardware or add memory windows throwing a wobbly if it's not been prewarned by you preinstalling drivers.. I've one screwed up install of XP, I chanced the mobo on it, thinking it will ask for drivers - never did once. IF it detects a hardware chance like that it should HALT and go "Please insert Window XP CD and press F9" or something so that windows clears out all the hardware list and does a detect hardware routine only - leaving your software keys etc intact.. sorry for going OT but MS sure knows how to screw up PC's

On the note of IE 7 I've seen it and well erm it's Firefox / Netscape all over i.e a skinable tabable browser just like they are now if we could only get a few sites to "detect" and love Firefox I'd use those sites more..

Opera is good but well erm ya wanna go :realmad: try writing something that looks the same in IE / Firefox bet it don't look like that in Opera and don't try dynamic background changes unless you can hard code them into the page they don't work trust me..

:ranting: over (sorry for going OT but somethings just nark me right off)

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived