Security Installer Community

Networking Help!

dsw

Hi Guys,

I really hope that somebody can help me out here. I have been struggling for the last few days networking a dvr 365 on a LAN. Have installed many of these before but never encountered a problem like this before. By the way i am not a network wiz but i do know the basics. There is a network cable running from DVR which runs about 250 meters max through atics, around silos and through offices on a large dairy farm back to a netgear 4 port router. The router is ok as i have plugged my laptop in and it picks up the laptops IP address. Have put a basic network tester on cable and it seems ok.If i connect my laptop the dvr end through a little hub and a patch cable, it works fine. A soon as i try to connect from the router end i get nothing. Have tried with my laptop and with pc's on the network but cannot connect or ping the dvr. I am getting activity lights on both network port on dvr and router, and i have tried connecting direct with crossover cable and using seperate hub. Does anybody have any ideas. Could it be the distance. Its near a couple of big ish electric cables, just attached along pipes and cable tray. Any suggestions would be most appreciated as i have been tearing my hair out the last few days.

Thanks

Paul

is it a single run of cat 5 with no joints?

i think 250 is the max cat 5 can do. If you connect pc's to both ends can they ping each other. Also i think tcp can only do 100m between hubs.switches have you tried a hub/switch mid way

It seems you can ping the dvr if local but not down the 250m run? and you can ping the router if local to the router but cant ping it with laptop from dvr end?

If so then yes.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thaks for the quick reply,

there are no joints, yes i can ping dvr locally but not from other end of 250m, i aint tried pinging the router from dvr end thou. I will try that tomorrow. If it is to far why does my network tester show each strand to be ok. Is that because it is only putting voltage down the cable and not data. Not sure on cable type, it definetly isnt any more than 250m could be 200 as there was quite a bit left in the 305m box. If it is the distance, how can i overcome this. Would putting a powered hub mid way work?

Thanks for your help

Guest Director of COP Security

From my information the max recommended for CAT5 is 100 metres.

If you need to go farther you need to add a repeater hub or use fibre optic cable with a media converter at each end.

Chris

If it is to far why does my network tester show each strand to be ok. Is that because it is only putting voltage down the cable and not data.

Not sure on cable type, it definetly isnt any more than 250m could be 200 as there was quite a bit left in the 305m box. If it is the distance, how can i overcome this. Would putting a powered hub mid way work?

Thanks for your help

Daft question, are you sure its metres and not feet, as cat 5 usually comes in 300feet boxes.

Also the cat 5 tester if it

There is a 100m rule with networks over cat5, you can fit a small hub every 100m up to 5 times I believe.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

good question actually. I think it was a 300ft box. It seems a lot longer though because of the complexity of the run. I think your righ tough. That would mean ive only used around 150 meters max. I might have to get some repeaters then. My network tester is only a basic one. Where can i get repeaters from. By the way Chris, i would like to start using your new DVR's as they look really impressive. Have used a few of your xt's and have mainly been using DVR 365's but these look better. Any chance of a trial as i should have a contract coming up soon where i may need around 8-10 of them.

good question actually. I think it was a 300ft box. It seems a lot longer though because of the complexity of the run. I think your righ tough. That would mean ive only used around 150 meters max. I might have to get some repeaters then. My network tester is only a basic one. Where can i get repeaters from. By the way Chris, i would like to start using your new DVR's as they look really impressive. Have used a few of your xt's and have mainly been using DVR 365's but these look better. Any chance of a trial as i should have a contract coming up soon where i may need around 8-10 of them.

No problem we have a 30 day money back guarantee so if you get one and find its not to your liking we will just collect it and give you a full credit.

Give the office a call if you want to get one sent out.

As to the network problem, if you have used 150M of cable then you will probably get away with a hub in the Middle of the run, this is also easy the test.

If you want to change to fibre it gets expensive and you need to either have the fibre termination tools or pay someone to terminate the fibre for you.

Chris

thanks again for your help. I'l stick a switch mid way tomorrow and see what happens.

Before you cut the cable double check the crimps on the cable run to make sure you haven

Archived