Security Installer Community

Pelco Dvrs.... Any Good?

Matt the Teckie

Hi chaps,

Not posted for a while but I was hoping to get a quick discussion going....

I recently saw a flier from one of our leading distributors with regard to a free TFT monitor offer with Pelco DVR5100 machines. I've recently been playing with one of these machines and wasn't that impressed. Particulaly with the composite video performance (probably why they're going out with VGA monitors).

Have any of you installed or serviced any Pelco DVRs. What did you think of them and how did they compare with other machines you've installed in the past?

cheers all

Matt

Hi chaps,

Not posted for a while but I was hoping to get a quick discussion going....

I recently saw a flier from one of our leading distributors with regard to a free TFT monitor offer with Pelco DVR5100 machines. I've recently been playing with one of these machines and wasn't that impressed. Particulaly with the composite video performance (probably why they're going out with VGA monitors).

Have any of you installed or serviced any Pelco DVRs. What did you think of them and how did they compare with other machines you've installed in the past?

cheers all

Matt

Hi Matt

I use the DX range for a certain client.

The units are solid PC like machines with Window operating System. They operate with mouse and PC keyboard.

They are very clever units with regard to searches. You can search by motion, alarms or pixel. You can network the units so you can share the cameras. Therefore if you had 3 sites each with a 16 way Pelco, you could have a Pelco installed in Head Office which can views it's own cameras and any cameras from the other three units. The head office machine will display the cameras as if they were its own. We use audio with ours and the mux handles it well.

The tech support is brill, but the reliability of the units is very questionable.

cheers

Dave

Ive fitted 1 DX8000 (? I think), It seemed very good but very complicated to set up compared to a DS2( what we normally use).

I personally don't like PC (Edit: windows based) dvrs though.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Ive fitted 1 DX8000 (? I think), It seemed very good but very complicated to set up compared to a DS2( what we normally use).

I personally don't like PC (Edit: windows based) dvrs though.

Agreed DS2 and DX8000 are leagues appart.

I don't like PC based DVR's either. Much prefer DVR's with their own embedded operating system, no hangs, crashes or viruses.

cheers

Dave

Hi Matt

I use the DX range for a certain client.

The units are solid PC like machines with Window operating System. They operate with mouse and PC keyboard.

They are very clever units with regard to searches. You can search by motion, alarms or pixel. You can network the units so you can share the cameras. Therefore if you had 3 sites each with a 16 way Pelco, you could have a Pelco installed in Head Office which can views it's own cameras and any cameras from the other three units. The head office machine will display the cameras as if they were its own. We use audio with ours and the mux handles it well.

The tech support is brill, but the reliability of the units is very questionable.

cheers

Dave

Dave you are having a laugh,

there a nightmare at the moment, had two crash with hard drive fails sent back for repair and hard drives failed.

Im forever removing these units with component fail its a mare, out of 10 units fitted nine have been returned time and time again. :ranting:

SSAIB Approved.

If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough

Dave you are having a laugh,

there a nightmare at the moment, had two crash with hard drive fails sent back for repair and hard drives failed.

Im forever removing these units with component fail its a mare, out of 10 units fitted nine have been returned time and time again. :ranting:

But where are they fitted? Stuffed underneath desks etc? The two you had crash with hard drive failure were due to a Generator kicking them up the rear and they weren't on the UPS.

Dave

But where are they fitted? Stuffed underneath desks etc? The two you had crash with hard drive failure were due to a Generator kicking them up the rear and they weren't on the UPS.

Dave

Not the two i was thinking of, one of those had a motherboard problem and cmos battery fail.

Think of a more local site, in fact a colleague was retuning one today to find a video card fail just back from repair.

Happy days, ps hows tricks

SSAIB Approved.

If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough

Sounds like you boys are having the same kind of issues as I am.

I also found that if you set the machine to 25pps and fed it with a output of a dome camera, the field interlace was visable on playback.

The colour coded menu system was a bit patronising too.

Also, have you seen the specifications required of the client PC?! 3.2GHz with 1GB RAM! Deep-Thought wasn't that brainy!

Archived