Security Installer Community

Modems

Have a new problem, fitted 3 x Securakey 28 SA Plus card readers. All networked up so can play with them from the laptop. Door open times new cards deleting ect the usual stuff.

Now we have fitted the U S Robotics V.92 modems to the systems other data bus line. Programmed lap top to dial up site telephone number, and the modem wont snatch the line. Spoken to suppliers and they say baud rates need to be matched......I say it has to pick up the line before it can establish protocols.

Anybody worked with these modems as stand alone units (as i explained several times to wooden top on other end of phone). With these readers they supposedly get configured from the readers as a auto answer, "Dumb" modem ready to answer any incoming call.

Any help appreciated as we have 4 other building to do and they have even more readers on them, we picked this to start as its only got 3. As stated it all works on the RS232 lines fine, its dialling in thats the problem.

cheers

Directly, thru comms module via belden to converter. But as stated that side is fine i can play all day on the lappy, its dialling into the site. The modem wont pick up the line. Remember its a stand alone unit no PC attached. Modem is set up as auto answer, and "Dumb" so not looking for IP addresses.

Evening btw james old chap

cheers

id have to have a look and understand what your doing. In theory a modem can sit on a 232 line and repeat but the at commands have to be spot on. Is it the recommended modem?

And good evening matey seen as i have been annoying people latly better keep me mates close lol

Yep, cheers for the call.

Will find out tomorrow.

cheers

I was looking at modems all day yesterday

Us robotics 56k external.

connecting at the dumb end 9600 baud fixed no flow control auto answer after one ring.

Hav you tried setting up hyperterminal at both ends.

Use ATD to dial the other modem.

you should see ring then connect on the other hyperterminal.

It should be possible to communicated between the 2 pc's

I was looking at modems all day yesterday

Us robotics 56k external.

connecting at the dumb end 9600 baud fixed no flow control auto answer after one ring.

Hav you tried setting up hyperterminal at both ends.

Use ATD to dial the other modem.

you should see ring then connect on the other hyperterminal.

It should be possible to communicated between the 2 pc's

Thanks, but its not two pc`s if it was i would have it down to pat by now. The modem is stand alone to a access control reader.

Thanks for the input though.

cheers

I assume the reader just has TX RX and 0V no handshake abiltiy or pickup.

If yes you need to setup a few things on the modem.

Here is an example for a us robotics.

command:

AT&F0 (Load factory settings 0)

AT&N6 (set speed to 9600 baud)

AT&H0 (Disable Flow Control)

ATS0=1 (Auto-Answer)

AT&D0 (Ignore DTR)

ATM0 (Speaker always Off)

AT&B1 (Fixed Speed)

AT&W0 (Stores Configuration)

AT&W1 (Stores Configuration)

Frank

cheers, will look into that when i get back to that job, now doing other stuff.

On another matter almost got myself brigaded today, was so lucky i had extended test time. Last time i did that was about 9 yrs ago and 5 tenders turned up at the office block. :cold2: was the reception i got.

Once again thanks will try that with the modems when i get back to that site.

cheers

Archived