Security Installer Community

Need Some Help Choosing Cameras

Guest CS223

so if i stick a intel chip in a pc i throw together with whatever cr@p i find is that the same thing colin??

i never understood all this 'but it has a sony ccd sensor it it' well whoopy f@@~ing do

what about the processing board

what about the psu, and everything else the chip connects too!!

whats next well it has a 'philips' screw holding it on the wall must be ok

Sorry ill stop ranting now but its a subject fairly close to my heart

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Guest Director of COP Security
so if i stick a intel chip in a pc i throw together with whatever cr@p i find is that the same thing colin??

i never understood all this 'but it has a sony ccd sensor it it' well whoopy f@@~ing do

what about the processing board

what about the psu, and everything else the chip connects too!!

whats next well it has a 'philips' screw holding it on the wall must be ok

Sorry ill stop ranting now but its a subject fairly close to my heart

I agree its not the individual parts that count, but the finished product. You also have to consider who you buy from, there are many good products available from Asia (on paper) but the finished product can leave a lot to be desired.

As an example we (COP) manufacture all our cameras in Taiwan, now a couple of years ago we used a subcontractor who supplied most of the camera boards ready assembled to our specification. The subcontractor is a VERY big supplier and they supply to some big "branded" names. For us they used a Sony CCD and there own DSP and the whole thing was set up to our specifications. This worked very well but we wanted use a Sony DSP to improve the specification. This was no problem but the Sony people have three levels of access to the features in the DSP. One for Japan, one for Taiwan / Korea, and one for China, each version has less features. We fount that the Taiwan version was no better than the DSP we used from our subcontractor and offered no improvement in performance. The same applies to the CCD as there are many grades available.

So we now get our camera boards direct from Hitachi in Japan, this gives us access to the highest level of features and performance as we get the Japan HQ1 DSP and a grade 1 Sony CCD plus they are assembled in a Hitachi factory. Now the point of all this rambling is that although many people use a Sony CCD the DSP may not be from Sony and even if it is it may not perform as well as you might expect.

But that

• 2 weeks later...

Archived