Security Installer Community

Dvr Recommendations

StuBoy

CJTELECTRICS I'm not strictly an Engineer as CCTV is not my full time job, however I have a small business installing smallish CCTV installations (generally 4-8 cams). Started when I put a system on my house and since then I've put in several other ... mainly domestic's due to vandalism, car theft etc etc. I'm now being asked to do more and more, so I'm really looking for a good DVR to standardise on going forward.

I have been looking at both the SMART2 and DVR365 ... up until now I've been using JPEG2000 based DVR's.

I'm looking for a DVR that has good image quality ... the SMART2 qualifies at that but unsure of the DVR365 as its MPEG4.

So I have a few other questions :

If using the DVR365 ... do you need to use high frame rates (25fps) in order to get good quality images due to the MPEG4 compression ?

Will something like 10fps still provide high quality images ? or any suggestions.

The sort if stuff I deal with, if using JPEG2000 3-6fps is more than sufficient ... just looking for quality of image

I'm keen on MPEGG4 due to the compression you get and therefore smaller disk capacity requirements, but don't want the image quality to suffer too much.

I've had a look at the Demo's and the image quality isn't great for moving objects.

Another comment I'd make to SystemQ that their Demo system should state exactly which camera is attached to each channel.

Any advice welcome and thanks to those that have already replied.

Stu.

CJTELECTRICS I'm not strictly an Engineer as CCTV is not my full time job, however I have a small business installing smallish CCTV installations (generally 4-8 cams). Started when I put a system on my house and since then I've put in several other ... mainly domestic's due to vandalism, car theft etc etc. I'm now being asked to do more and more, so I'm really looking for a good DVR to standardise on going forward.

I have been looking at both the SMART2 and DVR365 ... up until now I've been using JPEG2000 based DVR's.

I'm looking for a DVR that has good image quality ... the SMART2 qualifies at that but unsure of the DVR365 as its MPEG4.

So I have a few other questions :

If using the DVR365 ... do you need to use high frame rates (25fps) in order to get good quality images due to the MPEG4 compression ?

Will something like 10fps still provide high quality images ? or any suggestions.

The sort if stuff I deal with, if using JPEG2000 3-6fps is more than sufficient ... just looking for quality of image

I'm keen on MPEGG4 due to the compression you get and therefore smaller disk capacity requirements, but don't want the image quality to suffer too much.

I've had a look at the Demo's and the image quality isn't great for moving objects.

Another comment I'd make to SystemQ that their Demo system should state exactly which camera is attached to each channel.

Any advice welcome and thanks to those that have already replied.

Stu.

Hi Stu.

The online demo does not show the record quality of the DVR365 it merely shows remote viewing over the Internet.

With a JPEG2000 DVR it would not be possible to even view such a fluid demonstration over a standard business broadband connection.

The latest 8-way DVR365 carries a brand new Compression algorithm and produces even better image quality and smaller file sizes than ever. This machine is available in 7-days time.

The 16-way DVR365 will have this brand new Compression algorithm at the end of this month with the 4 way DVR365 adopting it around April.

Q - If using the DVR365 ... do you need to use high frame rates (25fps) in order to get good quality images due to the MPEG4 compression ?

A- Frame rate has nothing to do with image quality its just how many frames you record per second. Image quality has its own setting. So you can reduce frame rate for longer recording without loss of quality. It is widely accepted that 12fps produces a moving image that appears to be realtime.

Q - Will something like 10fps still provide high quality images ? or any suggestions.

A- Yes

Q - I've had a look at the Demo's and the image quality isn't great for moving objects.

A- It's very good for over the internet (in my honest opinion yet to be rivalled) and even better over a LAN or faster internet connection (upload speed).

Q - Another comment I'd make to SystemQ that their Demo system should state exactly which camera is attached to each channel.

A- Agreed, we are going to do this soon as most of the cameras are quite old models, when replaced they will be named.

The latest Version of the DVR365 will record an image quality that is just as good as the Smart2 JPEG2000 machine and could be argued is superior.

With MPEG4 you get the better network performance and longer recording do to the better compression, the trade off is higher prices, as the technology (MPEG4) is more complicated than JPEG based machines.

MPEG4 has two main variants for sale in the UK, MPEG4-Part2 and MPEG4-Part10, the former is generally adopted by budget machines and the latter by the higher end ones using the latest technology. The DV365 uses it own version of MPEG4-part10.

MPEG4-Part10 and H264 are one of the same, they are identical.

If budget permits, go for the DVR365 it is being used in town-centre schemes, prisons and police stations.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Archived