Security Installer Community

Death Of Diy

Guest rjbsec

Has Britain fallen out of love with DIY? Carol Smilie, who launched home makeovers across the country as the presenter of Changing Rooms, reports on tough times for hardware retailers and the rise of a new trend - GSI (Get Someone In).

Watch the show on ITV1 at 8pm on Friday February 2.

Did you Know?

After Do It Yourself TV programmes began in the 90s, DIY accidents rose from 100,000 per year to 200,000 per year.

In fact, for during this time 70 deaths were being recorded each year as a result of DIY.

Three quarters of Britons would rather call in experts, than do it themselves. (BT).

One third of couples have had rows over DIY (National Federation of Builders).

Half of us have tried DIY to save money, but a fifth have had to call in experts when things have taken a turn for the worse (Zurich Insurance).

DIY stores like B&Q report stiff losses as people turn away from DIY to GSI.

DIY stores like B&Q report stiff losses as people turn away from DIY to GSI.

I suppose the deaths are mostly ladder falls, DIY'ers, don't you just love going into a house and seeing the light switches painted. I am pretty sure I know what to expect when I see that done! Went somewhere today and saw plastic 13 amp sockets flush fitted into the floor! ARRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Ever seen a DIY alarm with cables loop-clipped under the cornice throughout the house?

Had several "please help" calls from local wives at their wits end!

I know nothing about intruder alarms (apart from all the excellent tips found here) but was in an industrial unit today and saw what must be the worst "pro" install ever.

The chap who fitted it only traded for 9-months and if this was his standard I can see why.

All the wires were secured with black electrical tape to other wires and 3 PIR's were stuck to the wall with white silicon.

There was a metal contact on the shutter door with the flexible metal cable joining to white cable using a connector block wrapped in what looked like clear all weather tape.

The owner said he had him back 5 times at least in the 1st month for faults then he refused to come anymore blaming water getting into the system- it's your problem you'll need to pay me from now on for call outs.

I'm sure many of you have seen worse.

Chris.

The owner said he had him back 5 times at least in the 1st month for faults then he refused to come anymore blaming water getting into the system- it's your problem you'll need to pay me from now on for call outs.

at least the customer got what he paid for.. :yes:

(and deserved clearly!)

I know nothing about intruder alarms (apart from all the excellent tips found here) but was in an industrial unit today and saw what must be the worst "pro" install ever.

I dont want to be rude but, how come you are a 'Trade Full Member' then???

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I dont get it AG!!!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived