Security Installer Community

Tv Ariel And Bnc

RickStevens

Hi

Im ne to this so please forgive if this is a stupid question.

I have a home CCTV system that connects via scart to a vcr, however I'm bored of putting tapes in it every 8 hours and want to upgrade to a time lapse recorder.

I have read a previous post here about Scart to BNC, but just wondered if the following is possible.

Connect the CCTV to a VCR via aux in. Alter a standard TV ariel cable so that one end had a BNC connector, and connect from the TV out on the VCR directly to the BNC input on the time lapse recorder. Would this work?

thanks

Rick

Hi

Im ne to this so please forgive if this is a stupid question.

I have a home CCTV system that connects via scart to a vcr, however I'm bored of putting tapes in it every 8 hours and want to upgrade to a time lapse recorder.

I have read a previous post here about Scart to BNC, but just wondered if the following is possible.

Connect the CCTV to a VCR via aux in. Alter a standard TV ariel cable so that one end had a BNC connector, and connect from the TV out on the VCR directly to the BNC input on the time lapse recorder. Would this work?

thanks

Rick

That won't work as the TV Out on the VCR is UHF (Ultra High Frequency, TV Signal if you like) and then you would be putting that into a composite input on a time lapse, the time lapse won't have a UHF to composite converter like a domestic VCR. You need to take the composite camera picture on the scart straight into the time lapse input, you can cannibalize the one end of the scart to put a BNC on if you want to keep costs down. Wire from the time lapse output into a spare aux input on the TV leaving your other VCR out of the loop.

Dave

Alter a standard TV ariel cable so that one end had a BNC connector, and connect from the TV out on the VCR directly to the BNC input on the time lapse recorder. Would this work?

NO, It wouldn't, the tv out of the vcr will be on a very wide signal in the uhf bands (440-880Mhz), the video in on a time lapse vcr will be expecting a very narrow signal on a frequency around (17-20 Mhz).

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

That won't work as the TV Out on the VCR is UHF and then you would be putting that into a composite input on a time lapse. You need to take the composite camera picture on the scart straight into the time lapse input. Wire from the time lapse output into a spare aux input on the TV leaving your other VCR out of the loop.

Dave

There are some cable kits on the maplin website that will convert scart to numerous other connections including BNC, but I would end up with 2 BNC connectors to connect. I assume 1 BNC would be for video and the other for audio. Could I use one of those kits to do what you suggest?

That won't work as the TV Out on the VCR is UHF (Ultra High Frequency, TV Signal if you like) and then you would be putting that into a composite input on a time lapse, the time lapse won't have a UHF to composite converter like a domestic VCR. You need to take the composite camera picture on the scart straight into the time lapse input, you can cannibalize the one end of the scart to put a BNC on if you want to keep costs down. Wire from the time lapse output into a spare aux input on the TV leaving your other VCR out of the loop.

Dave

This should help click here

or this on ebay. Watch out for what type of connecter you need for the scart bit ie: male or female.

cheers

Dave

This should help click here

or this on ebay. Watch out for what type of connecter you need for the scart bit ie: male or female.

cheers

Dave

I Dont understand how the cable on ebay fits in? The timelapse recorders I've seen had 1 BNC input for Audio and 1 for video. I assume that I need some sort of gender changer to connect the CCTV camera scart socket into the one on this cable, whats the other BNC for?

Sorry for being thick!

I Dont understand how the cable on ebay fits in? The timelapse recorders I've seen had 1 BNC input for Audio and 1 for video. I assume that I need some sort of gender changer to connect the CCTV camera scart socket into the one on this cable, whats the other BNC for?

Sorry for being thick!

You would need to connect your scart from your camera into the scart end (you may need a gender changer, I have never played with scarted cameras before). The BNC marked video out would then go into the time lapse in video in. You would need a second lead to go from time lapse video out to TV using the opposite BNC.

I would just get a standard scart lead and chop one end of. Using the pinouts I have given you connect a BNC sheath to ground and the centre pin to video in or out depending which way you are going. Saying that a standard scart may cost you in excess of what the convertor costs on ebay.

Rule of thumb is simple, avoid any TV aerial connections. The output from your camera is composite video, the inputs on a time lapse are composite video and the aux scart or phono inputs on your TV are composite video. You just need to source leads to go from camera to time lapse to TV.

Hope that helps

Dave

Archived