Security Installer Community

Ups Protect A Cctv System

I have built up quite a sophisticated CCTV system (I think) for my house ... having had the occaisional bit of grief from Vandals and theft from Cars etc ... however it's been more of a Project than a need.

Anyway the system consists of 8 x Colour Day Night Cams (Nite-Devils) and a DVR. It's been wired up using Cat5 and Baluns. The entire system is powered via 2 x 1.4Amp 12V Regulated Power Supplies (4 x Cams on each) ... 2 Supplies is probably overkill but I don't do things by halves.

We've had quite a few short electricity failures in the area and I was think of UPS'ing the system, using a 900VA UPS. I can obviously simply plug the DVR into a UPS, however I was also thinking of connecting the 2 x Power Supplies to the UPS using IEC C13 Plugs. This would provide complete cover for the CCTV system in the event of Power Loss.

Is it acceptable to connect the 2 x 1.4Amp (Wall Mounted) 12V Regulated Power Supplies to IEC Plugs and then plug into the UPS ? or do the Power Supplies need to be connected to a Fused Spur ?

I realise I'm going to have to get it checked by a "sparky" anyway, but would rather it was correctly wired before the check.

Also how long am I likely to get in the event of Power Loss with a 900VA UPS / how do you work it out ? The DVR pulls a max of 40W and the Nite Devils 220mA from the 12V supplies.

Finally, does all the 12V CCTV Wiring also need to be checked by a "Sparky", or is it just the 240V stuff ?

Thanks.

I have built up quite a sophisticated CCTV system (I think) for my house ... having had the occaisional bit of grief from Vandals and theft from Cars etc ... however it's been more of a Project than a need.

Anyway the system consists of 8 x Colour Day Night Cams (Nite-Devils) and a DVR. It's been wired up using Cat5 and Baluns. The entire system is powered via 2 x 1.4Amp 12V Regulated Power Supplies (4 x Cams on each) ... 2 Supplies is probably overkill but I don't do things by halves.

We've had quite a few short electricity failures in the area and I was think of UPS'ing the system, using a 900VA UPS. I can obviously simply plug the DVR into a UPS, however I was also thinking of connecting the 2 x Power Supplies to the UPS using IEC C13 Plugs. This would provide complete cover for the CCTV system in the event of Power Loss.

Is it acceptable to connect the 2 x 1.4Amp (Wall Mounted) 12V Regulated Power Supplies to IEC Plugs and then plug into the UPS ? or do the Power Supplies need to be connected to a Fused Spur ?

I realise I'm going to have to get it checked by a "sparky" anyway, but would rather it was correctly wired before the check.

Also how long am I likely to get in the event of Power Loss with a 900VA UPS / how do you work it out ? The DVR pulls a max of 40W and the Nite Devils 220mA from the 12V supplies.

Finally, does all the 12V CCTV Wiring also need to be checked by a "Sparky", or is it just the 240V stuff ?

Thanks.

12 volt wiring does not have to be checked by a sparks.

Are the camera suplies switch mode? (really light, not transformer types) If so they should be fine on the UPS.

However most installers would opt for a PSU including battery, the loss of going battery-mains-psu-low voltage is greater then a simple PSU with battery.

Is there a 12 volt supply for the DVR? If so you could buy one PSU and large battery to run the lot otherwise a UPS is the only way for the DVR.

Wait for more comments as there is a lot of years experience on this forum. cheers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Not strictly true, there are circumstances whereby 12-volt wiring could come under Part P regulations ... amazing though it may sound!

Pocket_Guide_8.pdf

I never thought of LV lighting because it is a "proper" installation requiring peremenent connection to fixed 240v wiring. I suppose there have been so many fires with LV lights installed in combustible celing areas and without proper fire hoods?

Good point though. Any other 12v wiring covered by PP?

I think this 12v wiring is excluded though.

Another point, do any of us check the low voltage cable/type/BS of the fitted LV equipment? There is so much needless red tape now I'm getting to hate it all! :fight:

There's an online petition against part P if you feel the same, as far as I can see it's only benifit is keeping Goverment staff busy with forms and I suppose a little extra work for sparks or is it less because people are still doing their own work and just looking for PP App?? I'm OT here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

12 volt wiring does not have to be checked by a sparks.

Are the camera suplies switch mode? (really light, not transformer types) If so they should be fine on the UPS.

However most installers would opt for a PSU including battery, the loss of going battery-mains-psu-low voltage is greater then a simple PSU with battery.

Is there a 12 volt supply for the DVR? If so you could buy one PSU and large battery to run the lot otherwise a UPS is the only way for the DVR.

Wait for more comments as there is a lot of years experience on this forum. cheers.

Luggsey,

The Power Supplies concerned are "1.4A 12V DC Wall-mount Power Supply units" which I believe originate from SystemQ, that I purchased via another supplier. Not sure if they are what you call "Switch Mode".

I just want to connect the Power Supplies via a plug to a 900VA PSU.

Hope this clarifies

Luggsey,

The Power Supplies concerned are "1.4A 12V DC Wall-mount Power Supply units" which I believe originate from SystemQ, that I purchased via another supplier. Not sure if they are what you call "Switch Mode".

I just want to connect the Power Supplies via a plug to a 900VA PSU.

Hope this clarifies

Ok wall mount may have a transformer inside which is not so good for your UPS but it would work, check to see if there are "batt" terminals in the PSU as you may be able to connect a battery to them as they are.

I think there is a System Q rep on the forum, he may know more about them. Check the DVR for 12v operation as well.

My Amateur Radio Forum

The DVR has only 240V input ... it's a DVR365 ... from SystemQ I believe also ... but again I didn't purchase from there ... another supplier.

I selected wall mount PSU's as I'd assumed (possibly wrongly) that these were more robust "commercial" type PSU's than using several of the plug-in type.

What's the issue with the Wall Mount version if it has transformer inside it and connecting it to a UPS ?

Who supplies 12V PSU's with capability for an internal 12V Battery ?

Regards.

Ok wall mount may have a transformer inside which is not so good for your UPS but it would work, check to see if there are "batt" terminals in the PSU as you may be able to connect a battery to them as they are.

I think there is a System Q rep on the forum, he may know more about them. Check the DVR for 12v operation as well.

Thanks.

You could run the PSU

System Q Ltd.

Archived