Security Installer Community

Using Camcorder For Evidence

mrsfedup

Hi everyone again,

Just a quick question, is it legal to film someone using your camcorder that you are hoping is for evidence, from inside your property ?

thank you

I think it would be legal to film a criminal act like someone trespassing but possibly not on the off chance of catching somebody next door doing something they shouldn't be. I think you can film anybody on your property, TBH I don't know that the English CCTV laws apply to camcorders but for certain there are laws in Scotland that prohibit this sort of activity unless sanctioned by the authorities/courts if it's not on your property.

Are there any Scots Law experts on the forum??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Hi,

It sounds like you are having alot of problems at home, you may find the neighbours from hell website more use, http://www.nfh.org.uk/

They have a forum http://www.nfh.org.uk/forums/index.php where you can ask questions related to your home and other issues related that you have mentioned.

If you haven't done so allready I would suggest speaking with your local community police officer regarding your issues, but to answer your question, if you are recording your own property with a video camera and just happen to catch criminal evidence then you should't have any problems. Just do don't go pointing your camera over your neighbours fences of through their windows.

Hope that helps.

Hi there luggsey, thank you for your reply ,

it would only be done to capture evidence of trespassing and possible criminal damage

Please advise anyone

Thank you

If it's on your property then I can't see a problem with that at all, seek advice from, as already mentioned, local police officer/community security group.

Good Luck, don't forget to make sure the time and date stamp is on and is accurate, log all recordings in a diary as well if you want to use it as evidence.

Oh, forgot to mention don't put yourself in danger by letting the subject being filmed see you if at all possible! :sofa1:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived