Security Installer Community

Budget Pc Dvr - Grandtec Xguard Any Good?

PThomas

CPC are offering a promotion on the GrandTec X Guard 16 Port PCI card at the moment, does anyone have any experience of these?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/pa...0910961&N=0

I am looking for a low cost solution to monitor my front drive, with upgradability for additional cameras later.

It will be a dedicated PC with dual hard disks and probably running XP or Windows 2003 Server. (I already have the PC)

:hmm: may one quote Iron Maiden?

is my view on pci dvr's

Not in all cases Mr. happy, ok if the PC is fast with plenty of memory, suggest a second hard drive for the video and set up "never" for hard drive sleep.

It's worth doing if you already have this kit, however if buying new a DVR would be more suitable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I have a Geovision card in my P.C at home and it has caused me some problems with the motion detect, and playback. If i was you spend a few extra pounds on a proper DVR. You can get a cheap one relatively easy

The downside to a PCI card, is your P.C needs to be on all the time, and if you get broken into, the first this they will nick is guess what? YOUR P.C.......... At lease with a DVR you can stick it in the loft out of the way.

Hope this helps.

Richard

www.accesscontrol.ie

www.accesscontrol.ie

richard.huison@accesscontrol.ie

ACT "Where performance counts"

"Is your Access Control system Vista Ready?"

I have a Geovision card in my P.C at home and it has caused me some problems with the motion detect, and playback. If i was you spend a few extra pounds on a proper DVR.

The downside to a PCI card, is your P.C needs to be on all the time, and if you get broken into, the first this they will nick is guess what? YOUR P.C.......... At lease with a DVR you can stick it in the loft out of the way.

Hope this helps.

Richard

www.accesscontrol.ie

My PC will be dedicated and store in our new loft (Extension to house), this will be boarded out with roof insulation and radiator. Not so easy to pinch.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare cash for a proper DVR.

My PC will be dedicated and store in our new loft (Extension to house), this will be boarded out with roof insulation and radiator.

I'd perhaps leave the radiator turned off. As long as it's not below freezing for too long then the PC will be fine.

:hmm: may one quote Iron Maiden?

is my view on pci dvr's

Iron Maiden.. don't think they featured on the Brit Awards last night/ :whistle:

On the price issue of "Budget" a PC and the card is far more expensive than a stand alone DVR. If you factor in labour costs for building it surely the standalone beats the PC hands down? :bruce_h4h:

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

and when there is a power interruption.... who will turn the pc back on?

The bios?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

Agreed, the PC will have a UPS to maintain power for a finite period of time and then it will be set in the BIOS to power on with power restore.

I already have a PC so zero cost.

Radiator will have a TRV and the room will double as a office/gym (Not according to Building Control/Planning though :rolleyes: )

I have ordered a card so will give it a go! (Should have a number of days to return it if cr@p)

I have a Geovision card in my P.C at home and it has caused me some problems with the motion detect, and playback.

Richard

www.accesscontrol.ie

The Grandtec stuff isin't "the best" but it's been working fine for me for several years now, started with the single channel card several years ago and now running the four channel one. Only upset is the cards dislike of diffrent cameras. PT pointed out some internet sources saying mixing colour and B&W causes this so I may have a solution for my own trouble....buy another colour camera! :(

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived