Security Installer Community

RCA/Phono cable length

Guest JackC

Guest JackC

Hi, I've managed to setup a DVR card on one of our PC's to record the output of some currently installed CCTV's. Its a 4 camera input at the moment. May add another card later, and use it as part of the system depending on how successful we are with it.

It uses RCA (phono) inputs for video which isn't a problem, but I'd like to have the PC setup about 100m or so from where the CCTV monitors are.

Does anyone know if there is a recommended max distance for running this type of cable before loss or reduction of the signal?

Thanks, Jack.

Im not sure what a RCA Phono plug/lead is but any cable will suffer from signal loss but more importantly an unscreened cable will suffer from induced noise.

At 100mtrs you will probably notice significant deterioration in picture quality but i suppose it would all depend on where and how the cable is run.

Even a screened cable at 100mtrs will give poorer quality, my advice would be to stick to coax (RG59) or use unshielded twisted pair and video baluns.

You need to have VGA out on your computer, this can then be placed straight into a TV. The cable used for this can be about 100meters.

Dale

Guest pakatak

Generally speaking:

unshielded phono\rca cables 25 - 30 metres max

shielded RG58 50ohm coax cable 140 -150 metres max

and RG59 75ohm coax cable 250-275 metres max

RG58 and RG59 cable is normally terminated with BNC connectors. Connectors that convert BNC to RCA are readily available from places like maplin.co.uk. I often solder RCA/phono connectors directly onto RG58 cable simply solder the sheaving on the outer connector and the cable core onto the centre connector.

Chris Packer

http://www.pakatak.com

Archived