Security Installer Community

Domestic Cctv Advice

WelshBoa

Hi All

I'm Andrew - joined the forum to get some good advice on where to start looking for a CCTV camera to suit my needs. Its going to be situated at the front of my property overlooking driveway and garden etc. I already have a PIR light for here so a day/night camera may not be needed but I suppose its always better to have that option.

The basic requirements I want is that I want it to activate via PIR and be able to record. I would prefer it to be wireless......although part of the reason I joined this forum is that on one website I was looking at it said a wireless internet router at 2.4ghz frequency could effect the cameras operation? I can change my frequency probably (?) although I do have a home network but I know for a fact my neighbours also have wireless networks as I can see them, so presumably any wireless camera I bought could also pick them up??

I would ideally want the recordings going to a PC as that would be cheaper than buying a VCR I would guess. Would prefer it in colour too. It can be wired if there would be too much problem with the wireless connections in the street! Not looking to spend a fortune, its for peace of mind more than anything after a few silly thefts of non descript items from the front garden.

I have also seen some advertised that record to an SD card?

Anyway thanks for all your advice, come back to me with some suggestions if you can ...probably looking at a max of

While it's true that bothe the camera and WIFI networks use the 2.4Ghz frequency, this is not the whole case. Depending on which channel the WIFI and camera are operating on, the 2.4Ghz frequency will change slightly (typically ranges from about 2.412Ghz to 2.473Ghz or higher depending on equiptment), so there should not be too much of a problem with interference if you can find a fairly clear channel. Also your camera might have, or might be able to use a directional antenna, which will aim the signal in one direction only, and may overcome any problems with weak signal or interference from other 2.4Ghz sources (also good for privacy from snooping of the signal).

Also most cordless phones and even your microwave oven use the 2.4Ghz spectrum, and they don't usually cause too much interference with the WIFI signals, so I doubt you will have much of a problem with the wireless routers in your area affecting your camera. Infact I have a cheap Micromark wireless camera (not for cctv, used for recording video onboard my Nitromethane R.C car) and it has never caused any problems with, nor received interference from my wireless router. So dont worry about that too much. :)

One thing that you MUST consider if you use a wireless link for the camera, is that the signal will be degraded strongly for each additional wall or solid object that it passes through to the reciever, and large radiators / metal objects may block the signal entirely. 2.4Ghz is a microwave frequency and as such it is *direct line of sight*, meaning that if you can't see the target the signal can't either (but it can pass through most solid objects but loses strength - about 25 - 50% for each aditional solid object, depending on material). But should'nt be a problem unless you have a large house with thick brick internal walls.

SS

cheers for that info - very helpful!!

Does anyone recommend a particular set up in mind? Do these wireless camera's normally come with anti theft head screws or do you just have to take a chance on no-one unscrewing it out of pure mindless vandalism?

Would a camera normally be covered under household insurance if damaged? I can check on this anyway. Just wondering what the best method to capture recordings is going to be

cheers for that info - very helpful!!

Does anyone recommend a particular set up in mind? Do these wireless camera's normally come with anti theft head screws or do you just have to take a chance on no-one unscrewing it out of pure mindless vandalism?

Would a camera normally be covered under household insurance if damaged? I can check on this anyway. Just wondering what the best method to capture recordings is going to be

hi WelshBoa.

a warm welcome to the forums,

is there any reason not to run a cable? wireless camera's are not 'secure' CCTv in that it is possible that they can be seen on additional receivers not owned by you. this might not worry you, but the partner and/or kids my feel 'overlooked' (even if they are not) and suspicion is a common basis for many a neighbourly row.

go wired and you have a massive choice from conventional to covert to vandal ressistant, with/without infra red lighting built-in at very reasonable prices today while getting the best picture's from the camera you eventually choose can offer.

even if you go radio it's not wireless, you will still need to get a power source to the camera of either low or high voltage.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Also, with wireless CCTV any good electronic hobbyist is able to make a very easy and cheap device to block the signal. There are many circuit diagrams on the internet that a DIY person can build with cheap parts bought from the likes of Maplins. This will block the signal from the camera and all you would see on the screen would be 'Snow'.

I used wirless in the past and had nothing but problems. It could be good one day and then unuseable another day depending on environmental conditions and any electronic gadgets people had turned on in the near area.

hi WelshBoa.

a warm welcome to the forums,

is there any reason not to run a cable? wireless camera's are not 'secure' CCTv in that it is possible that they can be seen on additional receivers not owned by you. this might not worry you, but the partner and/or kids my feel 'overlooked' (even if they are not) and suspicion is a common basis for many a neighbourly row.

go wired and you have a massive choice from conventional to covert to vandal ressistant, with/without infra red lighting built-in at very reasonable prices today while getting the best picture's from the camera you eventually choose can offer.

even if you go radio it's not wireless, you will still need to get a power source to the camera of either low or high voltage.

regs

alan

Ah ok.....point taken. I know next door (who incidentally I'm not having problems with) is a bit of a tinker with his electrics so he would probably look into that seeing as he has nothing else to do during the day.

Thats another thing I have thought of actually - with cctv is it likely that people will accuse me of being a snoop ....no reason why they should btw ;) but maybe the addition of cctv would cause more kids/teenagers to muck about in front of it?

How small can some of the wired cctv cameras be for outdoor use? I know you can get tiny one's but presume they would not be much good for what I need them for and have the PIR detection etc.

Hello, yes agree with the guys above, if it's for 24/7 security, definitely go wired. Wireless is fine for "on the fly" or temporary solutions and can be a good covert option but for surveillance of your property I'd stick with a hard wired system.

Also, if you plan to record to a DVR you could either use the built in motion detection recording functions or simply record continuously at a slightly slower frame rate (in order to save storage space).

If it's a one of two camera system you are after then a DVR with a 250G HDD will provide more than sufficient recording time.

How small can some of the wired cctv cameras be for outdoor use? I know you can get tiny one's but presume they would not be much good for what I need them for and have the PIR detection etc.

If the area you are looking to cover is fairly well lit then you could go for a day/night, weatherproof bullet style camera - these are usually small and compact if you are wanting to keep it as covert as possible.

Ah ok.....point taken. I know next door (who incidentally I'm not having problems with) is a bit of a tinker with his electrics so he would probably look into that seeing as he has nothing else to do during the day.

Thats another thing I have thought of actually - with cctv is it likely that people will accuse me of being a snoop ....no reason why they should btw ;) but maybe the addition of cctv would cause more kids/teenagers to muck about in front of it?

I wouldnt go too small with a camera for the front of the house, because this might give the impression you are trying to hide it... and maybe make people accuse you of being a snoop:P

also if the camera is pretty easily visible, i would guess the only teenagers that would muck about in front of it are the kind that you will get no trouble from... the troublesome ones will stay clear of it... my personal opinion

good luck

James

Archived