Security Installer Community

Help Baxall Zt4 Telemetery Wiring

Allan

Hi Guys

Does anyone out there know how to wire up a Baxall ZT4 camera controller i would be most grateful for any advice whatsoever as i have bought the controller from Ebay and it has no instructions with it :angry2:

on the rear of the controller it has 2 BNC conectors one in and one out there is also a 5 pin din i am assuming that is for the camera functions but dont know which pin is which.

any help would be great :whistle:

regards

Allan

Hi Guys

Does anyone out there know how to wire up a Baxall ZT4 camera controller i would be most grateful for any advice whatsoever as i have bought the controller from Ebay and it has no instructions with it :angry2:

on the rear of the controller it has 2 BNC conectors one in and one out there is also a 5 pin din i am assuming that is for the camera functions but dont know which pin is which.

any help would be great :whistle:

regards

Allan

Hi Allan,

The ZT4 offers two methods of telemetry control, when used with the ZR4 receiver card.

The BNC connection provides 'up the coax' control, whilst the 5 pin DIN is used for twisted pair 20mA current loop control.

If I remember correctly, the transmitter will also drive the ZR3 receiver, which has far fewer control functions.

The design is rock solid, and in it's day was almost an industry standard. I've actually used the equipment in the past for some quite .... 'challenging' applications :whistle:

I may well have some printed material somewhere, but I'll need to ferret around for a day or two to see if I can find it.

Just curious but how much did you pay for it, and how do you know it's still working? ;)

Hi Allan,

The ZT4 offers two methods of telemetry control, when used with the ZR4 receiver card.

The BNC connection provides 'up the coax' control, whilst the 5 pin DIN is used for twisted pair 20mA current loop control.

If I remember correctly, the transmitter will also drive the ZR3 receiver, which has far fewer control functions.

The design is rock solid, and in it's day was almost an industry standard. I've actually used the equipment in the past for some quite .... 'challenging' applications :whistle:

I may well have some printed material somewhere, but I'll need to ferret around for a day or two to see if I can find it.

Just curious but how much did you pay for it, and how do you know it's still working? ;)

Hi

I paid

Hi

Yes i have just bought the ZR4 receiver so any help at wiring the whole kit and kaboodle up from the camera to the time lapse and everything inbetween would be very helpful indeed as this is the first time i have done this and have very little knowledge (but i am learning fast).

Regards

Allan

I'll have a look over the next couple of days, and see if I can dig out the original paperwork.

Incidentally, have you got the telemetry receiver card? .... otherwise you may not be driving anything with it :whistle:

Hi

Yes i have just bought the ZR4 receiver so any help at wiring the whole kit and kaboodle up from the camera to the time lapse and everything inbetween would be very helpful indeed as this is the first time i have done this and have very little knowledge (but i am learning fast).

Regards

Allan

Hi Allan,

I finally managed to find some old information (one set is circa 1982 ish), so here goes.

The DIN on the back of the ZT4 provides 20mA telemetry control output using a screened twisted pair cable as follows:-

Pin 1 - Control out

Pin 3 - Control out

Link pin 2 to pin 4.

Pin 5 - N/C

At the other end of the cable, connect across the top and bottom (pins 1 and 5) of TB1 on the ZR4 PCB

(ZR4 power supply is connected to pin 2 - 9v AC, pin3 - neutral, and pin 4 - 9v AC)

Incidentally, the Orange Terminal blocks can actually be gently pulled off the PCB for wiring (the green one will not!!)

If you don't want to use the twisted pair cable connection, then connect up using video control as follows:-

On terminal block TB 4:-

Pin 1 is for the video conductor from the camera

Pin 2 is for Camera Ground (co-ax braid)

Pin 3 is Control Out Ground (co-ax braid)

Pin 4 is Control Out (co-ax central conductor)

The co-ax connected across Pins 3 & 4, is then connected to the Video In on the back of the ZT4 Transmitter

The co-ax out from the ZT4 is connected to a monitor for picture display.

DO NOT EVER USE Twisted Pair and Video Control at the same time, just one or the other.

The other connections on the ZR4 receiver card are as follows:-

On the T/B below the fuse (large orange terminal block)

Pin 1 is LIVE (either 240v or 24v AC In, depending on the operating voltage of the P/T head, + other bits!)

Pin 2 is Tilt Down

Pin 3 is Tilt Up

Pin 4 is Pan Right

Pin 5 is Pan Left

Pin 6 is Wash (Aux 2)

Pin 7 is Wipe

Pin 8 is Auto Pan (Aux 3)

Pin 9 is Camera

Pin 10 is NEUTRAL

All equipment must be operating at the same voltage as the relays connected across Pin 1 will all give out the voltage connected)

The T/B below is:

Pin 1 and Pin 7 is for connecting an external heavy duty DC relay for switching an IR lamp

Pin 2 is Aux 4

Pin 3 is Iris out

Pin 4 is Lens Common

Pin 5 is Focus

Pin 6 is Zoom

The lens motor voltage is set by VR4, fine motor speed by VR5, and pins 2,3,4 of the DIP switch are only ever used to reverse the lens drives (if needed).

I'd actually suggest that if you connect the ZT4 to the ZR4 receiver, do some output testing without any equipment connected.

Good luck!

Hi

Thanks for all that its very helpful but the only thing i am having trouble with at the moment is that is how to wire up the camera to the receiver

i have 4 wires coming out of the camera the instructions say that red = Tele and yellow = wide (zoom)

green = near and black =far (focus)

the problem i have is, on the board TB2 has one for zoom and one for focus do you happen to know where the other 2 wires go or which wire goes where????

Kindest regards

Allan

Hi Allan,

I finally managed to find some old information (one set is circa 1982 ish), so here goes.

The DIN on the back of the ZT4 provides 20mA telemetry control output using a screened twisted pair cable as follows:-

Pin 1 - Control out

Pin 3 - Control out

Link pin 2 to pin 4.

Pin 5 - N/C

At the other end of the cable, connect across the top and bottom (pins 1 and 5) of TB1 on the ZR4 PCB

(ZR4 power supply is connected to pin 2 - 9v AC, pin3 - neutral, and pin 4 - 9v AC)

Incidentally, the Orange Terminal blocks can actually be gently pulled off the PCB for wiring (the green one will not!!)

If you don't want to use the twisted pair cable connection, then connect up using video control as follows:-

On terminal block TB 4:-

Pin 1 is for the video conductor from the camera

Pin 2 is for Camera Ground (co-ax braid)

Pin 3 is Control Out Ground (co-ax braid)

Pin 4 is Control Out (co-ax central conductor)

The co-ax connected across Pins 3 & 4, is then connected to the Video In on the back of the ZT4 Transmitter

The co-ax out from the ZT4 is connected to a monitor for picture display.

DO NOT EVER USE Twisted Pair and Video Control at the same time, just one or the other.

The other connections on the ZR4 receiver card are as follows:-

On the T/B below the fuse (large orange terminal block)

Pin 1 is LIVE (either 240v or 24v AC In, depending on the operating voltage of the P/T head, + other bits!)

Pin 2 is Tilt Down

Pin 3 is Tilt Up

Pin 4 is Pan Right

Pin 5 is Pan Left

Pin 6 is Wash (Aux 2)

Pin 7 is Wipe

Pin 8 is Auto Pan (Aux 3)

Pin 9 is Camera

Pin 10 is NEUTRAL

All equipment must be operating at the same voltage as the relays connected across Pin 1 will all give out the voltage connected)

The T/B below is:

Pin 1 and Pin 7 is for connecting an external heavy duty DC relay for switching an IR lamp

Pin 2 is Aux 4

Pin 3 is Iris out

Pin 4 is Lens Common

Pin 5 is Focus

Pin 6 is Zoom

The lens motor voltage is set by VR4, fine motor speed by VR5, and pins 2,3,4 of the DIP switch are only ever used to reverse the lens drives (if needed).

I'd actually suggest that if you connect the ZT4 to the ZR4 receiver, do some output testing without any equipment connected.

Good luck!

Allan

I'm guessing that you probably mean the four wires coming from the lens, not the camera? Perhaps you could just quickly confirm this.

Also, do you know what model lens you are using? Does it have one or two cables coming from it?

Wiring it up won't be a problem, but I'd rather double check the colours / circuit diagram before I give you the wrong information ;)

• 11 months later...

Archived