Security Installer Community

Maximum Ampage

Steevo25

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the maximum ampage that can be run along standard twisted pair CAT5e cable. I have a camera that at maximum can pull about 2.5amps at 12VDC ( its a PTZ camera with fan and heater inside ). What I would like to do is use the cable for the power, video and RS485. Is this possible along this type of cable.

Many Thanks.

Steve.

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the maximum ampage that can be run along standard twisted pair CAT5e cable. I have a camera that at maximum can pull about 2.5amps at 12VDC ( its a PTZ camera with fan and heater inside ). What I would like to do is use the cable for the power, video and RS485. Is this possible along this type of cable.

Many Thanks.

Steve.

Remember CAT 5 is a data cable and never designed for power...

17 ohms per 100m

24AWG conductor = 0.577A max for power transmission. This is not 100% accurate but should give you an idea I hope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Many thanks. I guess I stay with my current method of using the correct power cable.

Remember CAT 5 is a data cable and never designed for power...

17 ohms per 100m

24AWG conductor = 0.577A max for power transmission. This is not 100% accurate but should give you an idea I hope.

Archived