Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9448

Guest ktd

Hello,

I am a first timer on your site and seeking your advice and expertise.

I have a Scantronic 9448 alarm panel which was installed in 1990. It has been faultless until i went to set it last night and could smell something. The bottom and centre of the panel were hot. I deactivated the system and opened the panel to find the battery and transformer very hot. Does anyone know the cause of this and the solution

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Kevin

Sounds like the backup battery has had it, become very low resistance and is starting to overload the charging circuit, i`d remove the battery and replace it ASAP. And then hope it hasnt caused any permanant damage to the charging circuitry.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Is there a date on your existing battery..? the installer should have written the installation date on it, just wondering because they should be replaced every 4 or 5 years.

Dave,

There is no date on the battery but I know it is as old as the installation.

(14 years). I now know it is well overdue for replacement

The control panel battery is so often overlooked by many users, they are usually fine for 4 or 5 years, sometimes slightly longer. Then they start to deteriorate, some like yours develop a lowered resistance and cause the panel power supply to overload, some Explode, some start to leak battery acid in the panel and that can cause all sorts of problems.

Hopefully yours will be fine, as you seem to have noticed it fairly quickly, but if you have a Voltage meter just check the voltage at the battery terminals is about 13.2/13.8 Volts before connecting the new battery.

Hello Dave,

Replaced battery last night and pleased to say everything is working fine.

I have marked on the battery the date of installation so the same thing doesn't happen again

Thanks for your help.

Regards Kevin :rolleyes:

Glad that everything is still ok Kevin, but please consider getting the system serviced just to put your and my mind at rest that everything is ok.

Appearances are often deceiving.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dale

Join the trade member section if you are in the trade. Manuals can be obtained to trade members only.

Send a personal message to either "Waza04" or "Service Engineer", you will need to provide details of the company you work for so your credentials can be checked.

Dale

Archived