Security Installer Community

Alarm Install Training Course Required

kolobos

Hi All,

I would like to go on a course to be trained in alarm installations but do not know where to start?

I have alot of experiance in technology, computers and electronics so this shouldn't be too difficult for me, i don't want to start my own business

or work for anyone, i just want to do this for myself to gain more experiance and maybe fit a few systems for family and friends. If all goes well

then i would have something to fall back on if i was ever out of work.

Kind Regards,

Steve...

I have alot of experiance in technology, computers and electronics so this shouldn't be too difficult for me

What about running cables, working at height, crawling through lofts, installing conduit and trunking, lifting floor boards, using drills and hand tools, working with mains, ect... ect....

please dont look at alarm installers job as playing with gadgets mate, thats about 5% of the work, the programming.

I just worked alnite, grafting in a supermarket ceiling running cables and containment, last thing on my mind was the electronics or computer side of it.

Become an electrican then move sideways into security after. That way you will get good cabling experiance.... No 2 panels are the same so there isnt really a course in alarms, just a principle of alarms, resistance, diodes ect.. course i think??

Night All

Chris

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

i have posted elswhere you can go on a C&G cource at a colledge, but this trade is about experience and guile when hiding cables and choosing the best suited kit and siting it, also runing cables away from dangers of carpet fitters, plummers and hot pipes.

you can buy a book published by B. Babbani, will even show you how to make your own very basic alarm panel, not that you should but shows you the basic theory involved.

when i get asked the question "i could have installed an alarm myself" i answer "you have the same amount of fingers and eyes as i do, and you may well succeed with all credit to you. but what happens if it starts to play up? who will you turn to for help?".

a lot of what we do is hidden from view, not to be secrative but to ensure the system is neat and tidy as well as functional.

i can repair my own vehicles having trained as a mechanic from school for 2 years, but apart from minor repairs i don't bother anymore. i do not need the hassle of stripping an engine down to find i was supplied with the wrong parts, or the grazed knuckles trying to get that stubborn impossibly located bolt undone or getting soaked in the rain.

by all means read up on it and browse these forums, but be warned scratching this 'itch' can be infuriating especially to the uninitiated teaching themselves, you system may go in fine, so chuffed you then do your mates and it's a pig - so what do you do then?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
Good Link Ian,

3 days to get the BTEC Advanced award, ?

regs

alan

then you start charging neighbours,friends and family for your " help " and if you get stuck you could always call back here for the answer

What about running cables, working at height, crawling through lofts, installing conduit and trunking, lifting floor boards, using drills and hand tools, working with mains, ect... ect.... Im fully aware of all that mate, i have the ability to carry out all types of building work and install all my own electrical work including using all the hand tools needed to perform those tasks!!!

please dont look at alarm installers job as playing with gadgets mate, thats about 5% of the work, the programming.I wasn't and im fully aware of that mate!!!

I just worked alnite, grafting in a supermarket ceiling running cables and containment, last thing on my mind was the electronics or computer side of it.Yeah AND?

Become an electrican then move sideways into security after. That way you will get good cabling experiance.... No 2 panels are the same so there isnt really a course in alarms, just a principle of alarms, resistance, diodes ect.. course i think??

Night All

Chris

Sounds to me like you wrote this felling tired and a little wound up, i asked a few simple things about installing alarms and im fully aware of all the jobs including working at hieghts, crawling through spaces etc. and i never thought for one minute it was easy or like playing with gadgets etc. and i have the ability to fault find through a process of elimination.

But thanks anyway mate.

a lot of what we do is hidden from view, not to be secrative but to ensure the system is neat and tidy as well as functional. Fully understood a little similiar to when i had my own computer building business

i can repair my own vehicles having trained as a mechanic from school for 2 years, but apart from minor repairs i don't bother anymore. i do not need the hassle of stripping an engine down to find i was supplied with the wrong parts, or the grazed knuckles trying to get that stubborn impossibly located bolt undone or getting soaked in the rain. I do all my own work as well mate, infact i don't recall going to a garage for over 15yrs now.

by all means read up on it and browse these forums, but be warned scratching this 'itch' can be infuriating especially to the uninitiated teaching themselves, you system may go in fine, so chuffed you then do your mates and it's a pig - so what do you do then?

regs

alan

Great comments thanks.

Archived