Security Installer Community

Alarm Install Training Course Required

kolobos

you could do a 2-3 year city and guilds course, electrical principles and alarm systems, two separate qualifications, day release. that's what i done alongside being a trainee. that was about 15 years ago though.

or are you looking for quick fix?

Just looked thank you.

you could do a 2-3 year city and guilds course, electrical principles and alarm systems, two separate qualifications, day release. that's what i done alongside being a trainee. that was about 15 years ago though.

or are you looking for quick fix?

Not looking for a quick fix mate and i actually have an o'level in electronics which might help.

660 quid + vat!!!!!!!!

yes mate, try that one

A little expensive right now, but if i come into some money then ill think about it, im just really interested in been able to carry out this sort of work but i don't want to go into business or owt. I wouldn't learn it then just drop it, it would be with me forever and id try and keep up with it.

Signing out to relax.

cheers everyone.

Just looked thank you.

Not looking for a quick fix mate and i actually have an o'level in electronics which might help.

excellent, mate, too many cowboys already, mate, your electronics course will be a little help but not much. the fact that you have the ability to carry out all types of building work and install all your own electrical work including using all the hand tools needed to perform tasks means you already have more than most to "fall back on".

just out of interest, why have you chosen this industry? what has drawn you?

excellent, mate, too many cowboys already, mate, your electronics course will be a little help but not much. the fact that you have the ability to carry out all types of building work and install all your own electrical work including using all the hand tools needed to perform tasks means you already have more than most to "fall back on".

just out of interest, why have you chosen this industry? what has drawn you?

What has drawn me is the fact that i enjoy doing this sort of thing i.e. electronic systems, cctv, fault finding etc. and the fact that i prefer to do everything myself although all the systems ive had at previous houses were installed by others and it was facinating to see how it all worked and being capable of understanding how it works id like to know more.

From my other posts in another section you will see that i have just successfully fault finded my faulty Veritas 8 with great results and it is now fully functional.

The systems ive had are: pyronix (i think they did a panel), Scantronic 9850 and Veritas 8. The scantronic was a little advanced for home use i think although i do like the veritas 8.

cheers,

Steve.

What has drawn me is the fact that i enjoy doing this sort of thing i.e. electronic systems, cctv, fault finding etc. and the fact that i prefer to do everything myself although all the systems ive had at previous houses were installed by others and it was facinating to see how it all worked and being capable of understanding how it works id like to know more.

From my other posts in another section you will see that i have just successfully fault finded my faulty Veritas 8 with great results and it is now fully functional.

The systems ive had are: pyronix (i think they did a panel), Scantronic 9850 and Veritas 8. The scantronic was a little advanced for home use i think although i do like the veritas 8.

cheers,

Steve.

you have it sussed mate, why don't you start a course? you could teach diy alarm fitting to others in the area. any photo's of your work?

just out of interest, what age are you? i only ask as you said you have an o level in electronics. I'm not sure under 18's can legaly run courses.

well done steve.

you have it sussed mate, why don't you start a course? you could teach diy alarm fitting to others in the area. any photo's of your work?

just out of interest, what age are you? i only ask as you said you have an o level in electronics. I'm not sure under 18's can legaly run courses.

well done steve.

37 years mate and are you under 18 ?

hi kolobos,

tbh, i'd say it takes 18 month to get a willing 'newbie' upto a reasonable standard to be allowed out on his own, and a further 2 -3 years to reach a decent level of competance, add on another 2 - 3 years to be an effective service engineer.

this is not being a hoity toity know it all, it simply takes that long to get to see many many different situations/requirements and how to deal with them, that also includes customer handling (especially the difficult and ignorant one's). your often standing there taking the flak of an irrate client for someone elses's lazyness or mistake, but you have to smile be ressuring and appologetic. if your a perfectionistic type then this is very hard to do - trust me

still, it is a very fascinating job even after 37 years, can't say it pays that good in comparrison to what you have to do and know, and i say that as someone who runs his own company.

but if you like this sort of work, for someone with your technicle skills (and proven patience :yes: ) for better returns i recommend you got into telecoms and fit PABX's or CCTv and Networking, the margins are far higher and don't reqire 24 hour availability and you won't have the same liability issues if it go's 'tits up' due to an oversight (we all do them).

for general alarms like normal houses this trade is heading at a high rate of knotts towards all wireless systems, which is the biggest bread and butter market, but also takes away a lot of the skill element in installing the kit, which for me anyway is the main enjoyment.

what ever you do i wish you the best of luck with it, your thus far very controlled replies imo make you a very good candidate for working in the service industries.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived