Security Installer Community

Computer Controlled Christmas Display

Guest BellMan371

Guest BellMan371

Right guys,

i need your help, i would like to make our massive christmas display dance in time to music, now the thing is im not sure how it is done?

has anybody got any ideas, or even better where i would get the stuff from, i am sure it is controlled by a computer but dont know at the moment how?

Please help me find out where i can do it from.

cheers

colin

heres the sort of thing im talking about.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=569861761430674710

heres the sort of thing im talking about.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=569861761430674710

To achieve something similiar to that you need to be looking at multi channel DMX controllers, and DMX lighting. You'll probably change your mind when you see the prices!

Something simplier and cheaper:

http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/Lighting_C..._Switching.html

i hope you any experience in outside electrical work and good practices, or i can envisage electrocuted pond gold fish whizzing through the air in time to the silent night.

this is more than just plugging in a few low voltage lighting chains, the loads on the mains supply would need careful planning as to control even low voltage lights the transformers will draw sudden spikes when switched on possibly causing RFi issue's for the neighbors, could even drop out the fuses for you spoiling the turkey.

unless you want the controls to sound like a model 'T' ford with 4 big end gone, relays are out. you will have to use other switching devices, like triacs and thyristors but they do not like inductive loads like trans formers, so your then working on either high current low voltage or full mains with all the hazards that entails.

you need some really knowledgeable help or you might well need the fire brigade :unsure: and CPR :(

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Dave the alarm man
or i can envisage electrocuted pond gold fish whizzing through the air in time to the silent night.

you saw colin's 2006 display then?

Guest anguscanplay
i hope you any experience in outside electrical work and good practices, or i can envisage electrocuted pond gold fish whizzing through the air in time to the silent night.

this is more than just plugging in a few low voltage lighting chains, the loads on the mains supply would need careful planning as to control even low voltage lights the transformers will draw sudden spikes when switched on possibly causing RFi issue's for the neighbors, could even drop out the fuses for you spoiling the turkey.

unless you want the controls to sound like a model 'T' ford with 4 big end gone, relays are out. you will have to use other switching devices, like triacs and thyristors but they do not like inductive loads like trans formers, so your then working on either high current low voltage or full mains with all the hazards that entails.

you need some really knowledgeable help or you might well need the fire brigade :unsure: and CPR :(

regs

alan

stick it on a trailing extension lead and switch on and off very fast

Guest BellMan371

regs

alan

PLEASE DONT INSULT ME ARFUR IM A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN NICEIC REGISTERED :angry:

Guest Dave the alarm man
PLEASE DONT INSULT ME ARFUR IM A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN NICEIC REGISTERED :angry:

Arfur don't any respect badges sonny jim :whistle:

1) How would he/we know that? :unsure:

2) You've got Caps Lock on. :whistle:

Tell us more about yourself and experience so we do not anger you further. :cold2:

C.

:)

going to close this topic now at the request of bellman 371.

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

Archived