Security Installer Community

Wireless again!

Guest Jlo

Hi,

I have read quite a few of the tread with regards to Wireless systems and the fact they are not rated!

I help'ed fit a Moss wireless alarm 11 years ago to there house which was very reliable until a gust of wind blue the bell box off!!! So much for my installation.

Anyway I advised them to go to a local alarm company (Nascoss aproved etc) and get a profesional fit alarm.

They were quoted and went for a wirless system again. Bells only. FM4000E unit, 4 pirs, Magnetic switch on front door and had the garage wired with magnetic switches, X7 bell on front and dummy on rear for around £500.

Been using for 3 weeks and so far no false alarms and they are very happy. I have done a walk test and confirmed all sensors working correctly.

Anyone have good or bad opinions on the FM4000 series?

My Father in Law had a Yale wirless alarm fitted (Not Nascoss or approved fitters) and I have to say he has had no false alarms either and been up for over a year. Its a shame though one has to go up to the bell box every 2 years on the yale system to change the batteries! Not good for a 79 year old!)

Just my thoughts although reading the threads here if I move I think I may still edge for wired!

cheers

James

FM Electronics make probably the only wireless systems that i`d consider installing if the customer was to insist on a wireless alarm.

We have a few of their older units installed over 10 years that have never given us any problems at all.

They make Class 3 AND Class 6 Equipment..

FM Electronics

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Thanks Dave for the feedback!

Its nice to know that not everyone has had bad experence with wireless equipment and its good to know that the FM4000 series is OK equipment.

I thought //.National Installer.// on there home installations used wireless as well. I know someone who had //.National Installer.// system installed and that's what they told me. Is that true?

cheers

James

Its nice to know that not everyone has had bad experence with wireless equipment and its good to know that the FM4000 series is OK equipment.

The thing is I cant really say the same to any other manufacturers attempts at equipment, we have over the years tried and tested most of the so called good stuff, only to suffer from un-reliabillity, we got soo many complaints from one customer that we ripped it out and installed a Hardwired system, needless to say they havnt had a problem since.

ADT do use wireless, but not as often as wired....

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Thanks again Dave,

Well when I next move I think I will be going wired! My home at present is a Bryant home and came pre installed with a wired bells only alarm. Now 6 years old and always been reliable. I will report back in the future if there are any problems with my parents wireless FM4000e system. They are pleased so far anyway.

Kind Regards

James

Guest Samholland

I to have used about 20 500r scantronic systems in about 4 years and have had only one false alarm from a detector. I suppose one too many but on the whole they have behaved well. Only as a last resort have we used the wireless system just for neatness when customers don't want the boards up and still dont want to see any cables. Lack of features ans RICHL says lets it down..

Guest Peter James

Hi Jlo

We have used the FM stuff in the past with varying results the only thing we find is the batterys tend to fail too often and the when changing the rkp bats you have to be quick or all memory is lost.

We have now stopped installing wirefree systems completely simply because we cannot trust them. We do have systems out there that have been well behaved since the installation date, and have always worked on test.

However, if we have to go back to an installation once in the 1st year we make a loss. So we install what we know will never go wrong (at least not in the first couple of years or more)

Pete :)

we have a few wirefree systems mostly fm electronic stuff class 3 and class 6 and to be fair its well behaved like pete said the batteries tend to go quickly and when changing the battery on the rkp you have to be damn quick but if your not quick enough its only the codes that you need to reprogram so its no big deal really but on the whole im all for wired systems rather than wirefree stuff

pete

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

I've recently done a FM4000E installation, and have had no problems at all.

It's possible to connect a conventional sounder to this panel without the need of a seperate PSU unlike the Powermax system.

I'm just about to sell my first Powermax in a briefcase for a mobile exhibition. I'll be waiting with trepidation for the next few months!

Steve Kendall

Plymstock Security Systems

CCTV, Intruder Alarms, Security Lighting & Access Control

Covering Plymouth, Plymstock, Plympton, South Devon and South East Cornwall

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wirefree

Steve

I haven't been on this forum for quite some time, but found your post and the ones before and had to comment.

As you are aware, I am a major user of wirefree Systems, namely, FM and Visonic.

4 Years ago, my company, HT Alarms (NSI GOLD) made a decision that we would not install another WIRED system into a domestic property ever again.

To date we purchase 40 Control panels a month for installation and sell approximately the same again to other installers.

I have read the posts on this site that suggest that if you install wireless systems, you get no sleep, annoy your neighbours, can

Archived