Security Installer Community

Oem Vs Branded Cctv Hardware

maia

Hi :)

I see many people using and selling OEM cameras/DVRs/etc. and branded manufacturers are rarely into discussion. I know that branded stuff is usually overpriced but then they work as they should, have professional servicing everywhere and are reliable (more than anything else at least).

Why does most of the people go for low-end stuff? Merely because of price? Have they compared OEM to branded hardware? Is it about different markets (there are a lot of brands I've never heard of but don't seem as nice as bigger companys anyway)?

Can someone enlighten me here? I could post a few names that I have high in my consideration, but don't know if it's against the rules :unsure:

Also, I have the idea that the same happens with alarm systems (smaller brands, worse features/reliability/support), so do not get surprised if I post similar in the alarms section (will see how this one goes first).

Last but not the least, this thread is merely "educational" thus I'm just seeking for opinions :yes:

Best regards.

I see many people using and selling OEM cameras/DVRs/etc. and branded manufacturers are rarely into discussion. I know that branded stuff is usually overpriced but then they work as they should, have professional servicing everywhere and are reliable (more than anything else at least).

Why does most of the people go for low-end stuff? Merely because of price? Have they compared OEM to branded hardware? Is it about different markets (there are a lot of brands I've never heard of but don't seem as nice as bigger companys anyway)?

Can someone enlighten me here? I could post a few names that I have high in my consideration, but don't know if it's against the rules :unsure:

Also, I have the idea that the same happens with alarm systems (smaller brands, worse features/reliability/support), so do not get surprised if I post similar in the alarms section (will see how this one goes first).

Last but not the least, this thread is merely "educational" thus I'm just seeking for opinions :yes:

I suppose it depends where your market is and how price sensitive the job is.

Also the level of risk you are willing to take that the product will not meet the operational requirement or the risk of equipment failure.

As we operate at the high end of the market it would cost me more money to send out an engineer(s) to replace a cheap component so we would prefer to put in an expensive one and reduce the risk of failure.

For DIY systems you do not need to equate the cost of labour, still the operational issue though.

Ilkie

For

Best regards.

There is a massive difference in the OEM against Branded CCTV equipment I work with 2 levels of equipment which have over a 100% difference in cost the high end professional durable reliable equipment justifies the difference in after sales management. As a great man once said you only get what you pay for.

Best regards.

Don't be fooled by the number of references to the cheap/oem/unbranded etc range of products. Majority of people asking, enquiring, discussing etc are non trade. Those in the trade know what to buy so rarely discuss their preferred products.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Don't be fooled by the number of references to the cheap/oem/unbranded etc range of products. Majority of people asking, enquiring, discussing etc are non trade. Those in the trade know what to buy so rarely discuss their preferred products.

I'm an end-user but I sure prefer to go with branded hardware rather than OEM stuff. For instance, I trust more a standard (but branded) piece of hardware than a "higher-end" OEM. This applies both to CCTV and alarm systems. I hate when people start moaning that their camera doesn't give a nice performance, can't see car plates, or that their DVR is not working as expected but are relying their security on stupid products that should be considered toys.

Again, I am not implying everyone needs a state-of-the-art Dome or DVR or alarm system, but why not go with lower-end, branded products?

Example: I have a Philips CSI (now Bosch Security Systems) LTC 0330 (standard resolution) with an Auto-Iris lens (Philips CSI) outside in a standard box and it performs superbly! Ok, the 0350 would be better with the higher resolution, but for the price this camera performs very well and is remarkably reliable. We've had cold winters here (0

Its just like AV products at home, that nice shiny new LCD TV, do you buy a brand name, Sony, Samsung,Philips etc or do you buy something you've never heard of like Hanspree or Techwood. I know what I bought, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on something I've never heard of.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Its just like AV products at home, that nice shiny new LCD TV, do you buy a brand name, Sony, Samsung,Philips etc or do you buy something you've never heard of like Hanspree or Techwood. I know what I bought, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on something I've never heard of.

Very nice anology. That sums it all up really, didn't realise how stupid my questions were. It's all down to what people are willing to spend VS expect. It's just sad that many expect a lot from non-branded hardware. Ohh well :ninja:

Archived