Security Installer Community

Power Supply For Vista Vpc9032 Low Voltage Cameera

cjd

Hi folk, am new to this setcion of the website, normally stick to the alarm part!! I have a cvista vpc9032 clour camera. It say on the back 12vDC, 24vAC. I assume that this mean it can either be run off 12voltsDC or 24volt AC, but it doesn't say the current required. I've looked on maplin electronics web stie and they have 12vDC supplies with 500mA, and also 24vAC with 500ma and 1000mA. Which one do I need to get this camera to work?? HELP!!!

cjd,

I don't know the camera at all, but if you look at either the camera ident plate or the operator manual, it should give an indication of the current consumption (either shown as milliamps or Watts).

In practice, the 12v DC 500mA should be more than adequate for a modern camera, although you should make sure that if indicated, it is correctly wired up to the camera.

Some guys prefer 24v AC, some prefer 12v DC ... personally, I'd almost always go for the latter unless there is a particularly long run for the power supply lead. Also, I'd generally tend to use either a 1 amp or 1.2 Amp regulated 12v supply, as they tend to run cooler, when they are only operating at perhaps 25 - 30% capacity with a single camera ( so in theory they last longer).

No doubt others will be along with their suggestions shortly ;)

Hi guys, thanks for your replies and also the datasheets- big help. I'll be off to maplins tomorrow to get a 12v relgulated 1amp supply. Oh, by the way thanks to "dave the alarm man" for the power supply pic, lovely idea, but as i only have 2 other cameras which operate 12volt and are of the DIY type I dont think it'll be suitable. Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

Archived