Security Installer Community

Specification

cjay

Hello,

Customers insurance company contacted me requesting a 'specification' for a recent intruder alarm installation.

What exactly are they asking for? What sort of information do they need?

Any advice on this would be much appriciated.

Hello,

Customers insurance company contacted me requesting a 'specification' for a recent intruder alarm installation.

and you have charged a member of the GP for a service yet have not provided it?

its nothing personal mate, but we earn our crust doing this, and doing it well. so supporting someone who at best is playing at it would be a kick in my own nuts.

i suggest a spell at an alarm company and a qualification in the field to get you upto speed and make you able to offer a good service to your customers.

Best Regards

Guest anguscanplay
Hello,

hi cjay - you doing this for a living or as a side project ?

the spec is the same as the system design, it lists what is fitted and where, to what grade and signalling etc. problem your now up against is as the insurance company are involved and you dont know the basics it`ll soon be an ex - customer.

Have you done any courses or had any previous experience ? if not I would stop doing alarms and get some form of qualification behind me before I started again , there`s a whole mine field of laws and liability out there so its best to be protected IMO - even the spec has to follow set guidelines and terminology.

Angus

Not to make waves :whistle: but I recently renewed my house insurance and told them the alarm "was installed by an Nsi Gold company but I service it myself"

I confirmed this info twice (verbal & written) and have been confirmed I can not get the 20% police notified discount but can still get the 15% serviced annually discount :hmm:

Now with Loyds for

Guest anguscanplay
What is an SSAIB/Nsi company install/service really worth

:hmm:

depends if i as a non NSI can be assed to get out of bed to attend that fault you pay me cover for ? - its a minimum standards achievment thats its main value

Not to make waves :whistle: but I recently renewed my house insurance and told them the alarm "was installed by an Nsi Gold company but I service it myself"

I confirmed this info twice (verbal & written) and have been confirmed I can not get the 20% police notified discount but can still get the 15% serviced annually discount :hmm:

Now with Loyds for

i believe anyone can install an alarm if asked to do so. thats it. if the customer then gives the insurance company false information, thats up to him. i wouldnt expect a painter and decorator to tell me on a forum to get stuffed if i asked where to start the papering from.

hows the painting going angus? laptop in the same room? lol

I seriously don't want to argue:no: but what does that mean for me?

I get Mr Tealeaf round then?

Will I need to provide proof the alarm was set, serviced, working, installed right?

:hmm:

i would expect so, we have had to go and read the log a few times for insurance companys.

all depends on their terms, some will make you set the system when out in the garden.

you have to offset the hassle against the service cost, with our bells only service you would not service it yourself, for the price there is no point.

Hello,

Customer pays for what they get....

1. did you do a risk assesment

2. Did you give the customer a SDP

3. Did you give a small works Cert for the Mains

4. What grade of system did you fit according to the RA

I bet the answer is no to all.

So in short the alarm is not woth a bean in the insurance co's eye's.

You get what you pay for, pay cheap and get a muppet fitting accenters on a sunday.

Archived