Security Installer Community

Cctv Query

Stargazor

Hi all,

A friend of mine has asked me to help him search for replacements cameras for his shop.

He had a fire which destroyed his 3 cameras.

He has already binned the cameras so i don't have a model No to give but maybe if i gave you guys all the info i have, someone might know of suitable replacements.

The system is Leviathan Professional, LJD Video server 4.3.11.272 running from a LJD Digital badged box PC.

160 GB hard drive with a four port video card.

The computer is fine (fire didn't reach it), and still runs the software fine. (can view previous recordings)

The two main issues are, purchasing 3 suitable replacement cameras.

I believe the previous spec for them was, colour, nightvision and they had a cicle of small lights at the front, (sorry).

Secondly, replacing the RG50 coaxial cable.

Can I use Cat5e or should I keep with RG59?

He asked a local agent to supply these but was given a figure of around

Hi,

Your information is limited but if I were to guess I'd say you need 1/3" or 1/4" high resolution day/night cameras in either a minidome or bullet housings.

You say the cameras were colour and they had a circle of lights. That sounds like IR leds. A colour camera that can see IR is a day/night camera. I'm assuming you are only working in a small area so you don't need a special lens in which case the standard varifocal that comes with a minidome will do you.

To use cat5 cable you would need to use twisted pair converters or baluns, one at each end. Otherwise you need 75ohm coax. Obviously this advice come without warranty.

Thanks CameraGimp,

Not sure what the 1/3" or 1/4" refers to, but i'll guess the lens dia.

The length of the shop is about 15M.

Yeah, a day/night camera with IR sounds about right.

Just seen a camera on LJD website '1/3 Sony Super CCD 480TVL with Vari-focal lens 3-8mm'.

What are your thoughts on this one?

Phoned LJD Digital up but they will not deal with me??? even tho they give price and details on their website...strange.

Also, not sure what the 'converters or baluns' are, (tho i work with quite a few balloons), think i'll stick with coaxial.

Can i use the cable used by virg*n med*a or should i stick with 75 ohms? got a few spare metres up the loft.

With all respect you may be very good at turning your hand at different things but to be honest you haven't a clue on what your taking on by the sounds of it.

For example how are you going to connect the cable to the camera?, how are you going to power the cameras?, how are you going to set the lenses properly and are you confident the system will meet the criteria of the DPA?.

Even if someone did lead you by the hand and you managed to get something up and running, what would you do if you got any problems?

You may be able to get a bit cheaper than that quote if you shop around and if its a straight forward job and at least you'd have a creditable system installed with some sort of warranty.

Hope i'm not being too harsh but i'm pretty sure all the other professionals on here are thinking the along the same same lines.

Guest anguscanplay
With all respect you may be very good at turning your hand at different things but to be honest you haven't a clue on what your taking on by the sounds of it.

For example how are you going to connect the cable to the camera?, how are you going to power the cameras?, how are you going to set the lenses properly and are you confident the system will meet the criteria of the DPA?.

Even if someone did lead you by the hand and you managed to get something up and running, what would you do if you got any problems?

You may be able to get a bit cheaper than that quote if you shop around and if its a straight forward job and at least you'd have a creditable system installed with some sort of warranty.

Hope i'm not being too harsh but i'm pretty sure all the other professionals on here are thinking the along the same same lines.

glad you said it ( my warning levels LOL )

stargazer - is your friend " paying " you for this ?

Camstop you disappoint me. If you can't answer my questions then either say so or just don't answer.

No need to be insulting.

A couple of posts and you assume I haven't a clue. Do you treat everyone that has a query with the same disgust?

But i must admit you did make me laugh. The way you talk, you must be a real hero.

I bet your the type of failed sparky who installs a vastly overpriced system to some old dear and then tells her how only rocket scientists would be able to understand the enormous task before you.

Don't try and //.B.W.F.// us. Keep that for some poor pensioner.

What You don't know, is that tonight i just got his system up and running by borrowing a similar cam form the shop next door.

Fixed it up using power from the existing PSU, and yes standard broadband cable works great. Piece of P***.

It works great and one cam will do till I can get his cams ordered.

Should save him about a grand :whistle:

As for problems, why should there be any problems??? I didn't get a 'professional' in to do it.

Hey now that i've managed to do that, do you think i can be a professional like you???

Hope I'm not being too harsh, and I REALLY hope all the REAL "professionals" are NOT thinking along the same lines

As for you angus cant play...nope i'm not charging him anything...you see he's my mate, that's what mates do.

But then maybe you don't have any mates... probably to busy telling everyone how complicated your job is :roflmao:

CameraGimp thanks,

Your time and help is very much appreciated.

Guest anguscanplay
Camstop you disappoint me. If you can't answer my questions then either say so or just don't answer.

No need to be insulting.

A couple of posts and you assume I haven't a clue. Do you treat everyone that has a query with the same disgust?

But i must admit you did make me laugh. The way you talk, you must be a real hero.

I bet your the type of failed sparky who installs a vastly overpriced system to some old dear and then tells her how only rocket scientists would be able to understand the enormous task before you.

What You don't know, is that tonight i just got his system up and running by borrowing a similar cam form the shop next door.

Fixed it up using power from the existing PSU, and yes standard broadband cable works great. Piece of P***.

As for problems, why should there be any problems??? I didn't get a 'professional' in to do it.

Hey now that i've managed to do that, do you think i can be a professional like you???

Hope I'm not being too harsh, and I REALLY hope all the REAL "professionals" are NOT thinking along the same lines

As for you angus cant play...nope i'm not charging him anything...you see he's my mate, that's what mates do.

But then maybe you don't have any mates... probably to busy telling everyone how complicated your job is :roflmao:

CameraGimp thanks,

you got it working - good on yer, but no you can never be a proffessional like camstop, " er lights round the front..." LOL this is to me a classic post for why members of the public shouldn`t have access to SECURITY equipment. Don`t worry about it working correctly, all the settings, warrenties and evidence requirments just crow about how " a piece of p### it is " save " ooh " over " a grand - your " friend " in his shop knows the costs of everything and the value of nothing - now the scary bit ( assuming they have trading standards in your little world where your king) youv`e just left yourself open to unlimited damages if the kit fails to perform :no: or did your " friend" think the money went straight into our pocket ?

just for reference what setting have you got the BLC set at ?

No need to be insulting.

CameraGimp thanks,

I'm sorry if you took what i said the wrong way and my answer to your question was you appear to not have enough knowledge in this field to be taking on a commercial premises installation/ refit.

Please remember there is a legal requirement on this type of work in the UK and if your really saving your "friend" a grand then the quality of the equipment speaks for its self before judging your ability to install it properly.

Saving a grand or wasting

What is all the attitude about? I find the posts in this thread annoying in there arrogance. My only insight into your CCTV knowledge has come from this thread and from those few posts I have to assume you don't really know half as much as you seem to think you do.

Why ask how BLC was set when you don't know what the cameras is viewing? It is a pointless question. It makes it look like you don't know hoe BLC works but you want to appear smart because you can say BLC.

Why be concerned over DPA when all they are doing is replacing cameras on a previously installed system. Nothing will have changed.

Why say they leave themselves open to unlimited damages if the kit fails to perform? That smacks of scare mongering, it is a small shop after all. Does he have an obligation to install a certain standard system? He is only swapping faulty cameras.

What is all the attitude about? I find the posts in this thread annoying in there arrogance. My only insight into your CCTV knowledge has come from this thread and from those few posts I have to assume you don't really know half as much as you seem to think you do.

Why ask how BLC was set when you don't know what the cameras is viewing? It is a pointless question. It makes it look like you don't know hoe BLC works but you want to appear smart because you can say BLC.

Why be concerned over DPA when all they are doing is replacing cameras on a previously installed system. Nothing will have changed.

Why say they leave themselves open to unlimited damages if the kit fails to perform? That smacks of scare mongering, it is a small shop after all. Does he have an obligation to install a certain standard system? He is only swapping faulty cameras.

how do you know the previous system was in accordance with DPA? answer = you don't.

And yes, dependant on the type of shop there is a standard of system to meet.

Jesus these threads get worse and worse.

Archived