Security Installer Community

Connecting Contacts, Bell Pir's

Driller

Hi Guys. I'm about to put the flame to the touch paper (not literally I hope) and boot up my alarm panel. A few of you will remember the make/model. I'm assuming that when I put in the eng code I will be able to connect up all the PIR's, door/window contacts and SAB in peace. It goes against my instincts though connecting stuff with the juice going and wonder if I shouldn't turn on, program the zones, turn off, connect the peripherals and then turn on again. What's best in your view?

16 views and no replies-you're keeping me on the edge of my seat here. Anyone want confirm I can connect my PIR's in eng mode without having to disconnect the mains? I don't mind either way really but it's going to take less time to do it without disconnecting.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS Where's Angus when you need him? He's not been banned again has he? :whistle:

16 views and no replies-you're keeping me on the edge of my seat here. Anyone want confirm I can connect my PIR's in eng mode without having to disconnect the mains? I don't mind either way really but it's going to take less time to do it without disconnecting.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS Where's Angus when you need him? He's not been banned again has he? :whistle:

Well we can ALL live in hope Lol :roflmao:

Well we can ALL live in hope Lol :roflmao:

Well I have just received the happy news that he's still about, he's been of enormous help to me (and others I've noted). BTW don't feel like answering my question do you, pretty please? :)

Hi Guys. I'm about to put the flame to the touch paper (not literally I hope) and boot up my alarm panel. A few of you will remember the make/model. I'm assuming that when I put in the eng code I will be able to connect up all the PIR's, door/window contacts and SAB in peace. It goes against my instincts though connecting stuff with the juice going and wonder if I shouldn't turn on, program the zones, turn off, connect the peripherals and then turn on again. What's best in your view?

seeing as you asked so nicely

Its really up to you BUT if you have any shorts/wiring mistakes if you power them up on the panel you could do some serious damage but it comes down to how confident you are/feel.Me i would connect up then power up then program but then again i have been doing this for nearly nineteen years day in day out.And yes once you are in eng mode you can do most things

seeing as you asked so nicely

Its really up to you BUT if you have any shorts/wiring mistakes if you power them up on the panel you could do some serious damage but it comes down to how confident you are/feel.Me i would connect up then power up then program but then again i have been doing this for nearly nineteen years day in day out.And yes once you are in eng mode you can do most things

OK, thanks for your reply. I bow down to your nineteen years experience and wouldn't presume to come anywhere near that. I've done a lot of reading though and I'm pretty confident about not mixing up power, tamper and alarm on my PIR's. I shall follow your advice to the letter and connect the RPK with the detectors and then power up and program.

cheers

OK, thanks for your reply. I bow down to your nineteen years experience and wouldn't presume to come anywhere near that. I've done a lot of reading though and I'm pretty confident about not mixing up power, tamper and alarm on my PIR's. I shall follow your advice to the letter and connect the RPK with the detectors and then power up and program.

cheers

why not power your powered detectors on a battery first,at least if the walk test led comes on when you walk into the area you can be as sure as you can be that you have at least the powers right at the device.When you say you have done a lot of reading what and where have you read??

.When you say you have done a lot of reading what and where have you read??

If I say "internet forums" would you laugh? heh, heh...

I've been mucking about for years with electronics. We've been renovating an old French villa for the last 2.5 years. In that time I've taught myself masonry, rendering, plastering and drainage (dug a 2m deep trench all around the house-by hand!-and installed a drainage composite and drainage system to soakaway). I've installed a central vacuum system. I've installed a commercial grade heat recovery ventilation system and about 200 meters of spiral duct and fittings. I've pulled 1km of cat6 network cable and installed a home network with PBX. Next on the list is a Russound CAV6.6 whole house audio/video system (all cabling already installed-by me of course-probably another 1km of cat5e, speaker cable and coax). So after having studied the installation manual plus a background in electronics and a thirst for knowledge...I don't have a problem with understanding DEOL stuff and NO/NC and relays. Obviously it has taken me a whole lot longer that you would have done to install the system because I've had to teach myself as I've been going along and your fault diagnostics are going to be way superior. Luckily I subscribe to the French philosophy and don't spend too much time doing my day job :)

Edited to add: I had envisaged doing the test in "test mode" in the menu system.

Guest anguscanplay
If I say "internet forums" would you laugh? heh, heh...

Edited to add: I had envisaged doing the test in "test mode" in the menu system.

LOL - you the longest wait yet for vetting MJW ?

you`ll be fine - try powering up with just the keypad connected first then add the sensors and finally the sounders, metering out the devices before connecting them into the panel ( look for shorts on the power pair in particular ) check your current readings too!

LOL - you the longest wait yet for vetting MJW ?

you`ll be fine - try powering up with just the keypad connected first then add the sensors and finally the sounders, metering out the devices before connecting them into the panel ( look for shorts on the power pair in particular ) check your current readings too!

just get it all connected with-out power,then power it up ,worse case scenario is that you blow a fuse .You should always carry spares anyhow,if youre only a diyer don't bother with current readings ,they don't tell you much imo and you probably wont know what they mean anyway if you're only an enthusiast,your just gonna complicate matters.

Archived