Security Installer Community

Connecting Contacts, Bell Pir's

Driller

I'd hoped it was understood that I was trying not to sound arrogant when I said "mucking about". I wouldn't presume to come onto someones territory and wee all over the many years of experience and expertise here. I have however received a lot of help and guidance here. I have worked on PCB projects and others over the years using for example a 555 timer IC. I have played in a rock band for 20 years and have my own recording studio on my property-quite a lot of cables involved here. You could probably work out how to use said studio-but it would take you as long as me to install my alarm, even with the manual :) .The implication was that due to this I knew how to connect 12V + and - , alarm and tamper using the same colours either end of a piece of alarm cable. Or choose the correct jumper position for the correct resistance for alarm and tamper in a DEOL setup. I Just wanted to confirm I wasn't going to do any damage to my alarm as the manual seemed ambiguous in this sense. I do not propose to be able to site study and devise and install alarm systems in a short amount of time in a commercial environment on a day to day basis and provide after sales assistance and recovery.

Sorry driller if it come across at having a dig at you that wasnt my intention,it was in response to someone elses comments.

thank you Driller, i do have 40+ years experience so i could possible 'p' furthest up the wall (quantity is not the problem - just the lower pressure due to my Victorian plumbing :cry: )phew!, at least you safety concerns in mind,the pir's are designed to work down to 10.4 volts so 9 volts is not a decent 'test' and will most likely cause unstable reactions from the units. still worried about 'external transformer and french electrics :fear: 'moi ami Rodney!').
40+ years! No need to do any peeing at all with stats like that quite honestly...The PIR's in question (Pyronix quads) apparently have an operating voltage of between 9V and 16V. Not wanting to push the upper reaches of the scale I decided to use a 9V transformer. As it happens I tested it's output and even though it's written quite clearly 9V on the lid (warning, Larks Vomit), I tested it at 12.2V! I also considered a 16V transformer I have but when I tested this it turned out to be 22.4! So anyway...it turns out I did use 12V after all and all is well.
just use the stand-by battery with an in-line fuse of 1 amp would be better, but having a recording studio and installed all the electronics and cabling surely you will have a bench mounted regulated power supply?
I don't have one believe it or not. I think I'm going to get one now though.
our caution in advising is prompted by concerns with your safety and also you not inadvertently damaging the equipment, we also like members to be around long enough to receive all the best insults :) (only joking)
I also had concerns about damaging the equipment which is one of the reasons I asked. Also I intend to stick around quite a deal longer so please have your best insults prepared :)
you may well run all the cables, successfully connect and get all the detectors to work you will then be upto an experience trainee grade, the skill comes in design and implementation. there are program features a pro can make dance for you, reading the manual will be unlikely to enlighten you due to the onscure terminology used in our trade.
Couldn't agree more I just want to get my own system up and running. In my (inexperienced) view the actual connecting up of the alarm system is the tip of the iceberg. As a pro I imagine there is so much more that goes on before and subsequent to this.
put it this way i can wire up speakers to an amplifier, well i used to run a mobile disco and i built it all myself, including all the decks, amplifiers and even the speaker cabinets, but could i match you playing your guitar?
Haven't you heard? I don't play guitar any more, I install intruder alarm systems... ;)
Sorry driller if it come across at having a dig at you that wasnt my intention,it was in response to someone elses comments.
No worries, no conclusions were jumped to. I continue to be grateful for the help you guys give me!

Guest anguscanplay
Haven't you heard? I don't play guitar any more, I install intruder alarm systems... ;)

now oddly enough........................

pmsl

............... I don't play guitar any more, I install intruder alarm systems... ;)

:lol: Driller, you must play (and sing) worse than i do, and i'm told sound like a cross between bullfrog with a hernia and a constipated cow

no stand by battery + French electrics!!! are you totally mad???

:whistle:

nominal voltages are what is quoted on the transformers off load they can exceed this value (at ac voltagess). rectification and smoothing means these voltages creep up as you have found out again higher if off load.

a PSU (as found in alarm control units) will control this to 13.66 vdc, which also happens to be the ideal charging voltage of one make of standby gel-cell (funny coincidence that) if not at the ideal charging current (= common manufacturers botch if you will).

just proves nothings perfect in the alarm world :rolleyes:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
(too busy with the nags I guess)

they went, forgot to close the stable door :no: seems sticking the things on with panel pins wasnt really the way to do it - bloddy forums

:lol: Driller, you must play (and sing) worse than i do, and i'm told sound like a cross between bullfrog with a hernia and a constipated cow

Crikey, as good as that? But you know Alan, with the state of music today you'd probably go platinum :)

no stand by battery + French electrics!!! are you totally mad???

Um, I think you may have misread my post a bit. I meant that I had no bench mounted regulated power supply. I most certainly do have a back up battery (the name of which starts with "Y") ;) . I joke(d) about French electrics but our whole house rewire has been done very cleanly and to a very high standard by a French electrician who is a very good friend of mine so no worries there. Don't believe everything you read in the papers about France. Apart from that I am fairly mad, yes :P

nominal voltages are what is quoted on the transformers off load they can exceed this value (at ac voltagess). rectification and smoothing means these voltages creep up as you have found out again higher if off load. a PSU (as found in alarm control units) will control this to 13.66 vdc, which also happens to be the ideal charging voltage of one make of standby gel-cell (funny coincidence that) if not at the ideal charging current (= common manufacturers botch if you will).

I can see many parallels here about using the right tool for the job...

just proves nothings perfect in the alarm world :rolleyes:

Well on that I am not qualified to comment :)

no way on this planet do you especially as an armature (with all due respects) work with mains applied to the alarm panel, for your own safety and that of others

That should be standard practise

And why is it a simple question which is what driller asked turns into a slanging and point scoring exercise between certain so called?? professional

seems to me some of you are just her to argue the toss all the time,prehaps some need to get a hobby : :yes:

Guest anguscanplay
And why is it a simple question which is what driller asked turns into a slanging and point scoring exercise between certain so called?? professional

ahem

Well we can ALL live in hope Lol :roflmao:

Archived