Security Installer Community

SSAIB

Guest MARK

I have recently recieved all the guide lines from ssaib so I can work towards registering. My question is do u need SSAIB or NACOSS to be allowed to install monitored alarms?

Also do u get the digicom from your monitoring company if not then where from as you can see im new to all this?

Im using texecom panels at present I think they are good and reliable, what do you think. Ive never wired a digicomm to these panels is it simple? ;)

As far as Im aware, you DO need to be an approved installer to fit Digicoms, but im not sure if being NACOSS or SSAIB approved are your only options.

Also Im sure Texecom do a Veritas 8 with a built in Digi, have you thought of that approach.??

Digicoms are available from many retailers and manufacturers, we get ours direct from Gardtec.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Thanks for your reply. I know that texecom do a veritas 8 with built in communicator interface which i presume the digi has to be external.

I shall look into it to see if they do a panel with digi on board.

Many thanks again

Guest simmo

Mark,

You might want to post your company name and location in the Small firms section. The biggest problem on the road to approval seems to be the 24hr cover. This section was started up so small firms can pool resources to help each other out.

Obviously its early days yet, but as this site gets busier hopefully more firms will post.

cheers

Simmo B)

Sound like a good idea

The company is Acunet security and operate in Bristol and surrounding areas my telephone number is 0870 710 7555.

Also is there any others you can think of instead of SSAIB and NACOSS because I want to start installing monitored alarms and it seems I cant without it.

Mark

Guest Adrian

B) Hi mark

I believe the veritas range panels only have the digi outputs on them (certain models only) You do need to buy a separate comunicator as well. The monitoring station will provide you with the chip to plug into your digi com ( subject to the type of digi you are using).

The best thing you can do is get the info direct from whatever monitoring station you will be using. The company we use in work is Southern Monitoring services.

(A very friendly company this one.)

A very inportant note make shore the panel you use is a current DD243 panel and the system you install is installed to the current standards Again DD243.(If you need police response that is.)

Adrian :fyi:

Guest simmo

Mark,

NACOSS have a sceme called ICON which i believe is for the smaller installer. However having looked at it it still costs a lot, and you will still have to offer 24hour callout. I still think SSAIB seems to be the best route, and thats the route I'll be going if I can ever get 24hour callout sorted. (I'm a sole trader)

You might want to look at Police response times to monitored systems. I've put diallers in to my customers properties as the police response down here to alarms is abismal. I know I used to be one of the coppers that used to respond!

You could always get a dialler to ring a local security company!

Just an idea.

cheers

Simmo B)

I think diallers are a good option for domestic purposes but am i right in saying that businesses wont go for these due to insurance reasons. I recently had a chap ring me to see about installing an alrm in his small shop he said it needed to be redcare I told him that I could not help him because

1. I assume you need some kind of recognition do install redcare.

2. I have never installed redcare so I dont know where to start.

Am I right in syaing there is no point approaching business customers untill i have at least SSAIB? :banghead:

Guest simmo

Mark,

You have obviously reached that point where you need to decide to go down the approval route. Is it likely that you will get the business customer base, to make the investment worthwhile?

Not all businesses require an approved company, however some insurance companies will probably insist on it. There is no harm in approaching the insurance company direct.(I realise this is not always possble) however they may well be prepared to give you a hearing, and if you can convince them that your spec is spot on then you may well get that job.

Obviously this is only worthwhile for the bigger jobs, it does no harm to pass on jobs you cannot do to another approved company, this may pay dividends later on.

Interestingly I have heard in recent years that people who applied to get a discount on their home insurance after having an alarm system fitted have been caught out. For example they are in the garden - burglar comes in nicks the kit. The insurance company will not pay out as the alarm wasn't set whilst not in the house!

I now advise all my customers not to notify their insurance companies. The discount is mainly pathetic anyway.

Be interested to hear how you get on. Good luck.

cheers

Simmo B)

Archived