Security Installer Community

Zone Doubling ?

volts240

Could some one please explain Zone Doubling to me, I am confused on which model to choose. I was looking to install the GT490X but I need more zone than are available until read about the zone doubling 9 or 16 via the " ZD" facility so how do I link wireless PIR units together amongst others too. Or should I just go for the 595 which has more than enough. This is for my own place I am not an alarm tech just a sparky, this is all bit new at the mo but I willing to learn.

Thanks,

Volts240

Could some one please explain Zone Doubling to me, I am confused on which model to choose. I was looking to install the GT490X but I need more zone than are available until read about the zone doubling 9 or 16 via the " ZD" facility so how do I link wireless PIR units together amongst others too. Or should I just go for the 595 which has more than enough. This is for my own place I am not an alarm tech just a sparky, this is all bit new at the mo but I willing to learn.

Thanks,

Volts240

hi volts240,

bt coincidence there is a similar discussion in trade

anyway, my view is i'm not keen on ZD for what it's worth, my advice is if you need the zones and you know it then get the panel that takes them from the off, so if the 490's 9 wired zones (+ 1 on the keypad making 10) is not enough for you, either add the radio interface (so adding another 8 devices) or go for the G595 and zone expanders.

others on here do us the zone doubling which is fine - but my concern is when things go wrong like with shorts caused by crushed cables, rodent activity or water ingress, then it takes a decent service engineer to diagnose and sort it out, and by your own admission your fairly inexperienced with intruder systems, so i'd strongly advise against using the more exotic options.

gardtec radio kit is very good gear, takes a bit of sussing out but works excellently in my experience, and i have it on my own home, just need to be aware a tamper on a device will not clear until the device resets after and activation as the tamper clear signal is carried on the zone c;ear signal (cost me some time to find that out initially :rolleyes: ).

oh, nearly forgot - you cant 'zone double' radio zones (and don't use double knock either, only ZD on wired ones ;)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
current job i'm doing could have save 2 expanders.

hows that work then ? only 9 extra zones as oposed to 16 using expanders ?

its only another resister which the O/P needs to get his head round anyway - give the guy a bit of slack, assuming he`s worked out EOL its simple to zone double and as the circuits still give individual indication, fault finding is just as it always was

go for it volty

Guest anguscanplay
you lost me arf? you would only need one expander to make 16, or you could have just used thar out dated 816 :lol:

or he was fitting all 4 keypads too (just for the keypad zones) ROFL

or he was fitting all 4 keypads too (just for the keypad zones) ROFL

Here we go here we go........ :unsure:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

you lost me arf? you would only need one expander to make 16, or you could have just used thar out dated 816 :lol:

i spoke the gardtec technical today to check on ZD wiring, i could not find the info to use on the 872 in the manual. according to the techy zone doubling as in having 2 defined zones (not just masking indication) is only available on the cpx/490 panels not on any of the G59n or g800 range.

there is no mention of ZD in the g800 'big' manual diagrams i could find hence my call, don't go firing any bullets at me, i'm just repeating what i was told.

regs

alan

it's just the way the site is, and where there are 2 'clusters' of detectors cand contacts. the cables i laid were fine for 1 central expander in a psu, but then they decided they wanted more detection :rolleyes: so additional expander it was. where as if i could have used ZD perhaps i'd be brave and saved on the expander - but have to admit i listenned to my inner voices of woe and chickened out anyway, just this thread has caught my curiosity.

regs

alan

Archived