Security Installer Community

Baxall Vivid Upgrade Of Hdd's

RayA

Hello All

I need to increase the storage of a Baxall Vivid 10 channel, 500Gb DVR.

The unit is fitted with two Maxtor Quickview parallel ATA / 133 disk drives.

If I replace one (or both) hdd's with larger units, will I need to format the disks first? If so, NTFS or FAT 32.

Can storage size limit exceed 1Tb?

There is a second IDE (40 pin) connector on the main pcb. Does this allow two extra drives to be fitted (total disks = 4).

Any advice or procedure information would be a great help.

Thankyou

Ray

Hello All

I need to increase the storage of a Baxall Vivid 10 channel, 500Gb DVR.

The unit is fitted with two Maxtor Quickview parallel ATA / 133 disk drives.

If I replace one (or both) hdd's with larger units, will I need to format the disks first? If so, NTFS or FAT 32.

Can storage size limit exceed 1Tb?

There is a second IDE (40 pin) connector on the main pcb. Does this allow two extra drives to be fitted (total disks = 4).

Any advice or procedure information would be a great help.

Thankyou

Ray

UPDATE

I have purchased two larger hdd's. I was able to install either of them as a slave drive (takes about 30 minutes to format using disk manager) but unable to make either work as a master. The original master has not been replaced with a new drive as the system will not boot without the original.

What am I omitting to do?

Ray

• 1 year later...
UPDATE

I have purchased two larger hdd's. I was able to install either of them as a slave drive (takes about 30 minutes to format using disk manager) but unable to make either work as a master. The original master has not been replaced with a new drive as the system will not boot without the original.

What am I omitting to do?

Ray

Ray, did you manage to fix this? I am in a similar situation, ie. need to fit a larger hdd, so wonder whether possible to format and enable system boot from the new hdd?

Thanks

Ray, did you manage to fix this? I am in a similar situation, ie. need to fit a larger hdd, so wonder whether possible to format and enable system boot from the new hdd?

Thanks

The unit has been running successfully for about 12 months using 4 x HDD's with 1.5Tb of storage. Leaving the original master drive alone is the easiest way to achieve the expansion.

Ray

The unit has been running successfully for about 12 months using 4 x HDD's with 1.5Tb of storage. Leaving the original master drive alone is the easiest way to achieve the expansion.

Ray

Thanks Ray,

I guess you fitted these extra drives externally as otherwise the Vivid unit would have overheated?

bgd

Thanks Ray,

I guess you fitted these extra drives externally as otherwise the Vivid unit would have overheated?

bgd

All drives internal. Double stacked. No cooling problems but do not fit the vivid too close to a wall. Good airflow is important..

All drives internal. Double stacked. No cooling problems but do not fit the vivid too close to a wall. Good airflow is important..

I will try and fit only one extra drive ie 750GB or 1TB as I rewired the fans and decreased their speed slightly because of the noise (the unit located in my small office).

Not sure whether it's worth keeping this unit (it's Vivid Plus with DVD burner) as I have not played with other dvr's apart from Geovision and Avermedia PC based systems, What's your opinion?

the vivid is a proper dvr and the other 2 arnt. Id stick with it if i were you.

James

Thanks James,

So I stick with Vivid, do you possibly know what's the best way to view the images over the Internet from this DVR?

I already have it working on my local Lan and use Vivid viewer software ver 4.0.

Should I use dyndns forwarding for Internet viewing setup? If someone has guide how to setup this on Vivid it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

bgd

Archived