Security Installer Community

Dvr To Pc Through Network Cable

secure2007

hi there i have a dvr in the next room which records cctv around the house but you can plug in an ethernet cable in the back of it and connect it to the computer so i can view and record the cameras on the computer with the software it come with.

so i brought a 100m cat5e network cable, rj45 connectors and a crimp and made a 5 meter long straight through cable and connected it to the dvr and the pc but nothing happend. so i then created a crossover cable and connected it and it started to connect then it came up with limited or no connectivity. i keep trying to reset the dvr but same message keeps on coming up what am i sposs to do as in the user manaul thier is information on only static IP, dynamic IP and dynamic IP of PPPoE (dsl). on the dvr thier is a ethernet port on the back which i have currently connected the crossover network cable to. and in the dvr menu there is a section on TCP/IP setup.

Could some help me as soon as possible as it is very essential to get this working asap.

You need to use the crossover cable if going direct from dvr to pc, manually assign both machines an address in the same range and give them both the same subnet mask. (try 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0)

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

yes i have assigned both the computer and dvr with the same IP, subnetwork, defult gateway

but still the computer comes out with limited or no connectivity

with respect, as you actually made the lead are you sure it is ok and the correct wiring was used?

if you have a hub or router simply use straight patch leads to test all else is well with the rest of the setup

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

with respect, as you actually made the lead are you sure it is ok and the correct wiring was used?

if you have a hub or router simply use straight patch leads to test all else is well with the rest of the setup

regs

alan

Yup, beg steal or borrow known working hub, switch or router and patch cables.

Most units have lights on so you can see if the cable is plugged in and "working" (sort of).

Router is best as it'll assign IP addresses for you via DHCP.

And some devices are auto-sensing so don't mind if cables are straight or crossover either!

Once you've got that working move to your own cable......

Archived