Security Installer Community

Formally Trained ?

BobClarke

Hi All,

I have been talking to a colleague from another branch today and we got round to the subject of training. His complaint was that after a year or so with the company he has never had any "formal training ".

Anything he has learned has been due to other engineers taking the time to show him or just worked it out for himself as he has gone along.

How many of you have had any Professional training? I have no real or worthwhile reason for asking, just wondering.

Regards Bob.

I wanted to ask exactly the same thing as I'm a trainee since July last year and I have been doing some installs,fault finding and maints without any kind of professional training,everything I know is what I've been learning with others and what I can pick it up on the way.

Can someone tell me where can I take some courses around Cambridgeshire. :rolleyes:

Regards

Hi guys,I

Hi All,

I have been talking to a colleague from another branch today and we got round to the subject of training. His complaint was that after a year or so with the company he has never had any "formal training ".

Anything he has learned has been due to other engineers taking the time to show him or just worked it out for himself as he has gone along.

How many of you have had any Professional training? I have no real or worthwhile reason for asking, just wondering.

Regards Bob.

Hi Bob

While working for a large national company I didn`t get very much formal training but when I changed to my present company which is a family owned company I have had a lot more training when and where it was requested, on various products and also health and safety.

Pete

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

I wanted to ask exactly the same thing as I'm a trainee since July last year and I have been doing some installs,fault finding and maints without any kind of professional training,everything I know is what I've been learning with others and what I can pick it up on the way.

Can someone tell me where can I take some courses around Cambridgeshire. :rolleyes:

Regards

Hi m8,

I don,t know of any where you are, however, I have done a lot of training at Tavcom. They are down in hampshire and it is not cheap !

I belive the cost is worth it and has helped me very much.

Hi Bob

While working for a large national company I didn`t get very much formal training but when I changed to my present company which is a family owned company I have had a lot more training when and where it was requested, on various products and also health and safety.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I think it seems to be the way with the larger company's. I am leaving my current employ to join a smaller company and i know for a fact that they value there engineers.

The pay is better and the backup is great. (My mate works for them also)

Bob.

I wanted to ask exactly the same thing as I'm a trainee since July last year and I have been doing some installs,fault finding and maints without any kind of professional training,everything I know is what I've been learning with others and what I can pick it up on the way.Can someone tell me where can I take some courses around Cambridgeshire. :rolleyes: Regards
What sort of training you after? If it is on products you need to get your firm to send you on training courses such as Gent/Morley/Advanced to name a fewIf it is fault finding or install or servicing these should be part of the training from your firm either in house or at college. Some training can be done with engineers on site but downside is you could pick up some of their bad habits or short cuts (not saying all engineers are like that because there are some really excellent engineers out there which you could learn a great deal) but you do need to learn to do the job correctly.PeteBob good luck in your new job - PeteBob - good luck in your new job - Pete
Hi Pete, I think it seems to be the way with the larger company's. I am leaving my current employ to join a smaller company and i know for a fact that they value there engineers. The pay is better and the backup is great. (My mate works for them also)Bob.
Bob - good luck in your new job - Pete

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

What sort of training you after? If it is on products you need to get your firm to send you on training courses such as Gent/Morley/Advanced to name a fewIf it is fault finding or install or servicing these should be part of the training from your firm either in house or at college. Some training can be done with engineers on site but downside is you could pick up some of their bad habits or short cuts (not saying all engineers are like that because there are some really excellent engineers out there which you could learn a great deal) but you do need to learn to do the job correctly.PeteBob good luck in your new job - PeteBob - good luck in your new job - PeteBob - good luck in your new job - Pete

cheers Pete,

I think I am taking a step up. The company I hope to be working for within the week do's not do stand alone systems. It is fully integrated systems.....CCTV, access control, fire detection and intruder all together over multi sites (some government work).

Eg: Access control triggering surveillance systems on entry....that kind of thing. At the moment I seem to be just doing repetitive maintenance.

Still, I’m looking forward to it.

Bob.

Hi All,

Regards Bob.

This is a real problem in our industry.

Formal training is regarded as a luxury and I think that is it disgraceful that trainees are sent out to install and service systems that they have no training on.

Apart from equipment training what about training in standards, new technology (as we are in the digital age) radio systems, IP and networking?

Also aside from system training, engineers should be formally trained in first aid, working at heights, electrical safety, working with ladders, towers, cherry pickers, Streetworks Act (for those of us lucky to work on the highway), general health and safety.

We even have some clients insisting that engineers are trained in Child Protection, Customer relations, Equality and Diversity.

And there are some engineers who are sent out on jobs by their employer with no formal training!

Bring on licensing!

Ilkie

i think the 'state of play' regarding training is indicative of many industries.

when i came into the trade i was trained for a year, then classed as grade 3, ie engineer under suorvision, got to grade 2 which meant without supervision.

recent years i heard of a few very large companies who turned out installation/service 'engineers' within 4 weeks, to be let loose on homes an businesses and god help them.

as an employer the other side of the coin also has to be considered, if i take on a guy, train him up live with the costs of the inevitable mishaps, then when they see fit they leave for pasture's new, nett result expensive investment down the drain, big companies also take the same view.

the only way to plug the gap is somehow having a fixed contract, but not seen a binding way of doing this, and in the buisiness we are in you don't need a disaffected worker held now under protest for 5 years, if it all go's sour after a year.

perhaps the bus employers have got it right, after initial vetting you go for training, if you fail of leave before 2 years you effectively owe them the costs of your training or welshing on the deal you entered into willingly, so seems fair to me.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

This is a real problem in our industry.

Formal training is regarded as a luxury and I think that is it disgraceful that trainees are sent out to install and service systems that they have no training on.

Apart from equipment training what about training in standards, new technology (as we are in the digital age) radio systems, IP and networking?

Also aside from system training, engineers should be formally trained in first aid, working at heights, electrical safety, working with ladders, towers, cherry pickers, Streetworks Act (for those of us lucky to work on the highway), general health and safety.

We even have some clients insisting that engineers are trained in Child Protection, Customer relations, Equality and Diversity.

And there are some engineers who are sent out on jobs by their employer with no formal training!

Bring on licensing!

Ilkie

Fully agree! ........ I am a first aid instructor and have had training in high work......Cherry pickers, also trained in high rescue for safty harness drops. Trained in mobile scaffold use. Petrol station site training

It is crazy to send people to work on live systems without proper training.

Bring it on. ...licensing!

Archived