Security Installer Community

Extending Rg59 Cable

IA76

Hi All

If I need to put a join in an RG59 cable to extend it (it's not possible to run a new cable) how likely is it that the video will be affected?

For example if I have a run of 100m and add on another 25m using a bnc coupler how likely is it that video will be affected and by how much?

TIA

i'd doubt you will have any trouble over those distances with decent connections made i.e. use 2 x bnc plug and a bnc barrel connector. any chance of water ingress then use self amalgamating tape and place a weather proof box.

each connection 'costs' about 1dB in signal loss, if it is an issue you can always fit a video launch amp

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

The longer the cable, the quality becomes less and less. Fine detail would already be starting to errode with 100 mtrs. Don't get me wrong mind, it's not all that noticable at this distance to the untrained eye and another 25 meters will not degrade the images to the point of noticing it. Providing you use good quality cable and good quality RG59 crimps and through connector, it will be quite fine. Be sure to make sure the join is weather resistant if it is outside, and consider using URM70 cable if the cable is liable to be moving for any reason.

ACE.gif

i'd doubt you will have any trouble over those distances with decent connections made i.e. use 2 x bnc plug and a bnc barrel connector. any chance of water ingress then use self amalgamating tape and place a weather proof box.

each connection 'costs' about 1dB in signal loss, if it is an issue you can always fit a video launch amp

regs

alan

lol, I'd have said 'you can say that again', but I just did to save you the trouble lol. Only you're reply was much better and easier to understand. :D

ACE.gif

lol, I'd have said 'you can say that again', but I just did to save you the trouble lol. Only you're reply was much better and easier to understand. :D

trouble is CH, i bet Angus will be along shortly to extol the virtue's of Part 'P' :cold2:

at least the o/p has two angles of view now - if you'll pardon the pun :whistle:

:lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived